Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol i would consider that a 6 lamp fixture, i consider the end to end lamps as one bulb even though they are two. its not like you would make one of them a daylight and the other an actinic they would both be one type as it is still one row of the fixture

speaking of bulbs, i got home today to find a long box on my porch. upon opening, i found 8 ati blue plus, 8 aquablue special, and 2 purple plus!
threadjacked.gif

How exciting! I love finding neat gear at my door!

You putting up the new bulbs or waiting til you upgrade again X?

is this the first time you'll be using a purple lamp? my fiji purple is more like the 8000k T8 lamp that i had in the fixture that my tank came with

I was just staring at my tank and wishing I hadn't gone with the 2 purple bulb. lol I just don't like how it makes my coralline look even more purple...:-(

Speaking of which, is there any way to get rid of coralline or deter it from growing?

yes, increase the light, lower the alk, things that will hurt your corals. i got the purple plus because i am only running those lamps, not the ge 6500k, or uvl 75/25s, so i needed to break up the blue a bit. hope i made a good choice.

I have caked on coralline on my lower rocks, and I mean it looks like layers and layers, almost like a painted them with purple stucco LOL. It's the first thing people notice, not the corals or fish really hehe

I saw some awesome leds today guys. The radion xr. :-D I'm sure you know em being that they are like top notch and top expensive too. The guy showed me how to program them on the computer and spent a good long time with me today. It even has reds and greens.....

I assume this is good as it gives more of a spectrum to the light, BUT is it worth the extra money to have those colors?

What says you expert guys. lol

yes, increase the light, lower the alk, things that will hurt your corals. i got the purple plus because i am only running those lamps, not the ge 6500k, or uvl 75/25s, so i needed to break up the blue a bit. hope i made a good choice.

i've never used the purple plus but i've heard some people say that the fiji purples are a nicer lamp, the PP are dull and hit less of a red spectrum then the fiji purple

no. it is not. everyone is trying to push some extra "bling" on their fixtures to warrant the extra cash. what corals use red light? green light?

i thought those were colors in the natural spectrum of light so therefore would be beneficial. I could be wrong though lol ;-) just sounds like a good idea

exactly i can see mushrroms not needign so much of a spectrum as they are usually in low reefs where more red is filtered out but for SPS in the shallower areas less red yellow nad green are filtered out so i think they would benifit more from a full spectrum

chances are, every bulb that lit your day and night today were full spectrum. that means there is a little bit of everything in them. having red and green lamps over a reef aquarium however, is completely unnecessary. there is enough spectrum in our daylights to feed our photosynthetic creatures. the rest is all for show.

I saw those lights today on marine depot's website today. They look and sound really awesome. I'm so confused on which way I want to go on lighting right now!

what are you confused about when it comes to lighting we'll try to help you out. although different people have different opinions about different types

Gti_Leo said:
what are you confused about when it comes to lighting we'll try to help you out. although different people have different opinions about different types

Which only adds to the confusion

No expert on lighting but from what I have read the reds and uv do help in sps growth not so much on lps. Those radion's are supposedly great I have seen them at an lfs on there coral tank. The colors pop.

The lights I went with also have the uv and red in the fixture. 36 10k white, 34 454 nm blue, 8 630 nm red, 8 410 nm uv, and 4 6500k white.

No expert on lighting but from what I have read the reds and uv do help in sps growth not so much on lps. Those radion's are supposedly great I have seen them at an lfs on there coral tank. The colors pop.

The lights I went with also have the uv and red in the fixture. 36 10k white, 34 454 nm blue, 8 630 nm red, 8 410 nm uv, and 4 6500k white.

Do you have a link for what you got?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom