Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you decide the fuge wasn't making that much difference? I still need to get a skimmer and one of the problems has been the size of my intake/skimmer area because I have the fuge in the middle. If I take that out, I would have a much better chance of finding a used skimmer that would fit in the middle section.

Yeah, for me personally i didn't see much benefit to the fuge. I know alot of people use it and have success with it but not me. lol My skimmer just barely fit in the first compartment as it was so now I have a whole lot more room so i can consider a larger skimmer if i want. :) It also leaves room so I can get the filter sock in and out whenever I want without a huge hassle. i have probes in that section as well and will most likely start running gfo with the extra room in the first compartment.

Sounds good , ur micro algae wasnt helpful? N You should get an orange shoulder tank or powder brown mines very active .

I had cheato and caulpera in the fuge and it never grew. :-( Just stayed the exact same for the last year or so, still bright green just didn't increase in mass. Plus I had aipastias starting to grow on the rocks and even in the macro so it seemed like an easy way to get rid of it. lol

I like the orange shoulder tang also like the scopas as well. The orange shoulder at least looks nothing like my other tangs, that's another concern with adding an extra tang so late in the game. The scopas might not get along with yellow though, the blue hippo I have looks so unique so that one shouldnt be an issue and the tomini is a wild card. lol So I need to try to find a tang that doesnt resemble those guys in color or form. I've considered the purple but the price tag is a little too steep for me for just one fish. LOL

carey said:
I had cheato and caulpera in the fuge and it never grew. :-( Just stayed the exact same for the last year or so, still bright green just didn't increase in mass. Plus I had aipastias starting to grow on the rocks and even in the macro so it seemed like an easy way to get rid of it. lol

I like the orange shoulder tang also like the scopas as well. The orange shoulder at least looks nothing like my other tangs, that's another concern with adding an extra tang so late in the game. The scopas might not get along with yellow though, the blue hippo I have looks so unique so that one shouldnt be an issue and the tomini is a wild card. lol So I need to try to find a tang that doesnt resemble those guys in color or form. I've considered the purple but the price tag is a little too steep for me for just one fish. LOL

What about a lieutenant or a doctor tang?

Actually, a naso was at the top of my list. How is their overall disposition? Friendly, semi aggressive? Are they ich magnets or fairly easy to keep?

I'm newer to the hobby and don't want to be rude but would you be able to keep an open water tang for life in a tank that size?

I think powder browns are very nice and don't look like your other tangs

Rude, on a forum? hehe nope lol
I often wonder the same thing, are these fish really happy where they are? I do have a six foot tank so that should help, I know these guys love to swim. lol I also have been looking for a 180g or 220g for the last two months so an upgrade is in the future. Hopefully this year at least. :)

The tangs i do have seem to be very mellow, I had the yellow first and the other two were introduced after and there was only some chasing for like a day or so and now they swim the tank like a tang gang. lol

I've also been robbing this tank of live rock over the last year so and now there is only like 175lbs or so left. Has opened up alot of room as has the removal of the majority of my corals.

I'm open to bristletooth tangs but not sure how the tomini would handle one.

I had a Naso in with several other fish before including a purple tang and a kole tang and the Naso was never one of the problem fish.

Yeah the max recorded is about 1.5ft but that's in the wild but I think you would enjoy the 220 over the 180 as looks go kinda like the 75 & 90gl tanks... Have you thought about an 8ft tank?

I just think those are cool because it reminds me more of a neighborhood then a fish tank, lol

I'm totally open to a 8ft tank if I find one. That would just fit in the spot I have ready for the upgrade. lol I didnt think a 220 would work cause of how short I am but now that I am leaning more towards fish rather than coral it might work out, won't have to be in the tank constantly moving or fixing a coral. :)

Hi carey,sorry to say this but i think you do need to call some profesional to fix it,because its not good in the big tank having some damage specially in the glass:(! it has a good price,but i think your gonna spend more than you pay to fix it:(! hope not,goodluck girl!! your cool anyway...making your own tank!

Hello everyone!!! Been so busy with my upcoming wedding so I had to put all my time into that. :)

Anyways, I will try to post an update thread on my tanks and some pictures of course. Lol.

Its been many months and I still have a boatload of tanks and I've learned so much in that time. Cant wait to get back into being an active member.

See you guys soon!

Back
Top Bottom