Carey's Pico information thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
SOOO I was in the lfs dropping off my 21 baby red zebras and ran across this:

https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+18534+22661&pcatid=22661

I was thinking on putting the candycane goby and maybe another tiny goby and some shrimp in it. It has a built in filter, its really quite incredible in person. Of course they had a clown and a nem in their tank at the lfs LOL. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this new fluval spec or if it's worth it to do.

I'm seriously out of tank space but this one is kinda tiny.

I had the 3 gallon JBJ, and I loved how clean it looked, but it also came with tons of problems. Mine ended up being more complex then some of my larger tanks due to the extremely small water volume. You can barely put your hand in without spilling out half the tank, so maintenance is an issue. Plus, I had to add an ATO and buy a custom glass lid to try and cut down on the evap and crazy level swings.

I would suggest an invert tank with a sweet zoa garden or something, 2 gallons is really small for almost any fish. I had sexy shrimp and LOVED them. One of the most interesting things you can put in your tank, and these small tanks are really the best way to appreciate them. Spend the extra money you save on a slightly nicer LED pendant and I bet you'd see crazy growth and color. An ATO is going to be necessary, lots of people rig up ferret or hamster water bottles and it works really well.

I don't mean to deter you at all, I loved my 3 gallon while I had it, but nano and pico SW do come with their own set of baggage. If you can master it, they are extremely fun little tanks.

I currently have a candycane which is less than an inch so I was thinking that size fish and some sexy shrimp.

I didn't give much thought to putting my hand in for maintenance there, it is really tiny. :-(

I was thinking no corals so I could keep the stock light.

How much could possibly evaporate over the course of a day? i lose maybe 3g a week on my 55 and less than that on my other tanks...
I def don't think I wanna go crazy with this possible tank, so no ato or anything fancy.

I was just intrigued by it in the store and I am ALWAYS complaining how I want sexy shrimp and that my goby is too small....just seemed like fate hehehe

I was just thinking, how much of a pwc do you actually do in this size tank? just take a few cups of water out? lol

I'm leaning towards getting this tank anyone have anything bad to say about it?

thanks guys!!

Look at some of the tanks Azoo makes before buying just yet, specifically the "mirror glass package." All are below 5 gallons and look great! My favorite is the half circle.

So I read through the threads you linked iDream, thanks so much! i thought this was a "new" tank style but I guess not. lol

I feel kinda lame saying this, but, I kinda wanted to leave it all stock. I was even gonna leave the lights. Other people have done some awesome stuff with this tank, I didn't realize so much could be done!

But as far as running it "stock" will it be mostly plug and play? I know i can't get corals and I'm cool with that. :) Do i even need a heater in this?

Also, since its so small can I just add some water and my live sand and some live rock rubble and be done, no cycle?

I only want the gobies and the sexy shrimp as far as bioload. maybe a snail or two.

Thanks again for those links, you rock!

Those threads aren't old at all.

But yes since you won't be adding corals it will be plug and play, not sure one the heater, you'd have to monitor it. But yes as long as you monitor levels to make sure all is well you can do that, you may see a mini-cycle, so just watch everything

I considered this tank before I got my chi, they look really nice.

Reasons I chose the chi instead:
- price, the chi was cheaper
- more water volume and space for my hands for cleaning
- I loved the rimless open look, I figured the filters wouldn't be too great in that tank anyways, just a nitrate collector.
-lighting, the chi's lighting was extremely easy to remove.

I think you should look into getting the chi, just a little more room and the lighting and filter system it comes with look absolutely awesome. The light is actually submerged in the water and it looks so pretty all set up, I wish I could have kept it that way. I do think this is a great tank though too and if you get the spec I'm sure it will turn out awesome!

Thanks for the post Kelsey. I just researched the Chi and while it looks awesome its bigger and more money than I wanted to spend. I like the size of the spec alot, just enough room for my candy cane goby, maybe 2 and shrimp.

Youre the second person to mention the hands in the tank issue. I'll have to go look at the sample tank setup at my lfs again and check it out.

In my travels I found this

https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15494

I think I like that it has a good light but it's not glass. :-( BUT it's 3g and runs a regular filter.

What do you think? The spec or this one?

OoOo definitely that one! It's a very cute tank. What are the price comparisons?? The spec one here was almost 100 if I remember correctly. Or are you ordering off of this site, because then I can just look on the webpage haha.

Edit* I just looked on petsmart and the spec is only 59.99 so I must be remembering incorrectly. I probably got the chi since they were similar in price, the 5 gallon chi should only be around 69.99

I think I'm gonna get this one instead of the spec. I wish I could find something similar on other sites. The light would let me actually get some corals wouldnt it? 18w should be alot for 3g I think lol

Back
Top Bottom