caribsea black sand "Tahiti moon"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittanykluss

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone use this sand? I'm setting up a 10gal for a dwarf puffer and the water is very grey we cleaned it in a bucket well

I have it in my 75g tank. I like it. I didn't wash mine...straight in the tank.

PetCo sells black sand for $18/20 lb bag. I was going to use it for my 220, then someone on another forum gave me a link to a thread on the planted tank forum. After reading about 4 pages of folks using it for quite some time w/out any problems, I picked up 2 50 lb bags of Black Diamond sandblasting grit (looks exactly the same as Tahitian moon sand) for less than the price of a 20 lb bag from Tractor Supply.
I have 3 aquaclear 110's half filled with floss and a large powerhead with 2 quickfilters running on the 220. It took several days for the water to clear up completely.

Last edited:
brittanykluss said:
Anyone use this sand? I'm setting up a 10gal for a dwarf puffer and the water is very grey we cleaned it in a bucket well

Well depending how long it's been in there it might take at the least 2 days for it to settle/clear even if it was cleaned.

I'm using CaribSea black sand; not sure if it's Taitian Moon, it didn't say so on the packaging but I suspect it is.

I rinsed mine as well as I could before I put it into the tank, but my tank water still turned a dark cloudy grey. It settled down by the next morning, but I"ve heard it taking longer. For 1-2 water changes after that the sand would turn the water a bit cloudy if it was moved, but since then it's been fine. My Cory's seem to like it.

its clear now my boyfriend rinsed and siphoned the tank about 5 times now it's clear lol :)

Back
Top Bottom