Catfish for a 55 mbuna commnuity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomadofthehills

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have 8 salousi, 4 yellow labs, and 4 acei coming in the mail tommorow. The tank is a 55 with rock work and crushed coral/pool filter sand, AC110, and a powerhead.

The fish will be small juvies.

Would some sort of small pleco work? I had a gibbeceps, and he kept the tank spotless, execpt for the bottom, which was covered in his waste everyday after his feeding. Never again will I have a huge pleco lol...

Also, synodontis eat fry right? What sort would work well and in what numbers? Thanks!

I've never had any problems wiht plecos and my Africans. Right now we have a common and a Sailfin Gibbeceps.

You could go with 2-3 bristlenoses. I keep them in my African tanks. They stay relatively small but do not underestimate the quantity of poop! They do a great job of keeping the glass and decor clean, though.

Any kind of syno cat is going to interfere with successful spawns.

Good luck with your new fish, :D

I want them to interfere with spawns :)

I am going away to college soon, and don't want the tank overcrowding itself on my mother haha (who won't be doing water cahnges I assume...)

I'd be so afraid to leave my tanks to my parents' care...they'd do their best, but I really don't think they'd know what to do. lol

Ways to discourage breeding include: Keeping the temp around 76. When it is increased to 78 and above, the temp is optimal for breeding. Do not place large flat rocks in the tank. Instead use smaller rocks that are bumpy. Africans breed on large flat rocks and the absence of them should also discourage breeding, well, successful breeding anyways. Pleco's and the Cats are going to produce additional waste. If water changes won't be completed weekly, I wouldn't put either one in the tank. Just let nature take its course. The other fish may eat the fry.

I agree with FF - with a few exceptions, the adults will manage the fry population quite handily. I would be much more concerned about the added bioload of catfish than potential overcrowding.

I don't understand if you want the fatty to eat the fry or not?
A couple cuckoos make a great addition to any african tank I think.
They rely on a host parents, when the mbuna breed, they eat their eggs and lay there own in place off, and the host ends up raising the fry for them until releasing.
hth
M

Back
Top Bottom