cattails and pond liners.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with cattails and growing them in a lined pond? I have 7 of them of a dwarf variety i think, they're growing really well but I've heard they can make a hole in liners after growing for awhile. Does anyone know if this is true? Mine are in terra cotta pots but there's holes in the bottom of them.
I just wanna avoid a patch job if they puncture holes they gotta go! Thanks all :)

I am curious as well! I have some stuff planted in pots & some things I have already had to repot into progressively larger pots a few times because the roots were out of control. If cat tails can do this, I imagine any plant runs the same risk if its left to run amuck. Waiting to hear! :)

There are different plants that aren't so aggressive and those are the ones you want so they don't take over your pond. Visit a pond shop if you have one nearby. I attached a picture to sure u my plants I have had those for two years they are called black princess.

Attachments

• image-545610294.jpg
    image-545610294.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 169
I googled cattails and pond liners. The outcome was a mixed result. There are studies done on liners of diffrent ml. and age with varying root masses, many of which were natives "my favorite". Most studies show that liners of 20ml or more that are not outdated, will not in fact allow root masses to puncture from inside the pond or out. There are sites however that swear it only takes one growing season of growth in certain bog and marsh plants to ruin a perfectly good liner.
So i guess the jury's still out on this one. Anyone wanna offer an experience?:)

Cattails

:thanks:I just moved to a house with Cattails growing in the pond. How do you take care of Cattails. Do they need to be cutback in the Spring after they turn brown and dry up? If so, where do you prune them.............below they water surface or above the water line? Or do you just pull them out? I am looking for as much info. as I can get on Cattail maintenance?

Back
Top Bottom