CCXGT's 10G Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
RIGHT THEN

Decided to start a thread, mostly to document and receive feedback for my newbie self.

After 3 months of research, I'm finally ready to get this build going.

First things first, an equipment list:

Machinery stuff:

Tank: 9.3G (35l) Marina 35, (my first ever tank, sitting empty, gathering dust in the garage, might as well utilise it).

Filter: Marina S10 HoB + Chemi-Pure Elite, (the filter that came with the tank, picked up a new pump for it, will be using purely for chemical filtration).

Heater: Marina 50w, (the heater that came with the filter and tank... Obviously).

Lights: 165w Dimmable Tile + Brightsky 24" Aquarium Suspension Kit, (it's a cheap Chinese knock-off, but a good one. It's also gigantic and I'm preparing for any future growth)

Powerhead: Hydor Koralia 425G/h (160/h), (yet again, went big for growth possibilities)

Testing stuff:

Refractometer: The One Off Amazon (told to avoid Hydrometers.. So I did)

Liquid Testing: API Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and High PH + Salifert Alkalinity Test, (I've had the API stuff for ages, just recently went to get Alk for my Africans, guess it's handy)

Thermometer: LCD Standard Stick On Glass + LCD Digital Probe Thermometer, (two thermometers, no idea why)

Water:

Salt Mix: Red Sea Coral Pro, (for the time-being I'll be using pre-mixed water from my LFS until I get into the swing of things, then I'll be using LFS RO water and start mixing my own)

Hardscape stuff:

Sand: Caribsea Fiji Pink Live Aragonite 20lb, (I know some people think it's pointless but I got it cheap with a deal for the rock)

Rock: Pukani Dry Rock 3kg (6.6lb) + maybe some Live Rock if it needs it, (I'm hoping this is enough rock, I'm told it should be enough)

Stocking:

Clean-Up-Crew: Nano Critter Pack from Charterhouse Aquatics, (5 Snails, 3 Hermits and 3 Replacement Hermit Shells)

Fish: 1/2 True Percula Clownfish, (I'M SO SORRY, I know it's wrong and I know I shouldn't but the sheer amount of people who run successful Nano Reefs with Clowns have convinced me. If it's any consolation, I WILL be trading them in once they outgrow the tank)

Corals: No idea yet, (my LFS has a gorgeous Red and Green Frogspawn that I've been eyeing up, I've also seen some Neon Green Zoa's, I'm VERY interested in Star Polyp's as well)

So that's that.
Now, cycling.

I'll be cycling by dosing Kleen Off, it's a cleaning product that IS safe for Ammonia dosage. It is 9.5% Ammonia and I've worked out that a 1ml dose will get the Ammonia to 3ppm.
After that I'm gonna follow CyberAquarists cycle plan which got him through in 20 days total. Basically dosing Ammonia repeatedly until the BB can take it down in 12 hours.

I'll be testing every 2 days or so and will be keeping a graph of the cycle's progress.

I'll be getting my rock and sand on Thursday or Friday (which just happen to be the two days I'm off college ;-P) and I'll pop right down to the LFS for the water.
20G of water in the back of my Punto... The poor thing...

LET'S GO

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Small question about the cycle, should I bother with top offs? Or is there no point?

Okay, so I've set up the tank.

Used about 3.5kg live and dry rock.
The LFS chucked in some extra rock along with the water (yay).
I tried to choose pieces with a bit of coralline on them, but one of the pieces has a tiny anemone looking thing, there were also a lot of rocks with what looked like bubble algae on them, I avoided those.

I've tried to position the rocks to form 2 arches but it wasn't easy.
I've used most of the 20lb bag of sand and ended up with about a 1.5/2" sandbed (I'll add more if I feel like it).

The tank is pretty much filled with milk right now so I guess I'll just wait and see how bad the rockwork is :-D

The tank WAS a 35l tank but due to displacement I'd say it's more like 25l now. Got a lot of left over water (I've just remembered, the LFS uses Tropic Marin salt (fancy)).

I've positioned the Koralia 425 on the back wall and pointing towards the surface, the water is circulating rather nicely.

The heater... Well I have no clue what that's doing so I'll just have to check what the temp gets to in a few hours.

I'm also running the HoB empty just for some extra flow (thought that might be clever).

The only thing I HAVEN'T got is the Ammonia I'm going to cycle with.. That's a bit irritating.

Right then, pictures:

The original rock delivered from live-rock.co.uk:

The water (I asked for 80l but they give me quite a bit more) and the extra rock:

A basic design (probably gonna get changed):

The final product, I added the sachet that came with the sand which is meant to clear up the water... Yeah right:

The mess I made:

So... Just waiting for the Ammonia to arrive and get everything started.

In my over-excitement earlier I forgot to show the fancy lil anemone looking thing:

What might it be?

Also, I've set up the timers for my LED's:

I've got Blue on 11:30 - 21:30 and White on 12:30 - 20:00.

So the tank has cleared up a tad, and I must admit, I quite like the way the rocks have turned out.

Also, how high should the water level be?
It's a 12" tall tank and the water is about 2" from the top.

It. Would. Be. Lovely. To receive some sort of comment on all of this...

I think the water level is ok. Maybe raise it up .5". The pic is to unclear it's hard to tell what the nem thing is.

I think the water level is ok. Maybe raise it up .5". The pic is to unclear it's hard to tell what the nem thing is.

I did raise it a tad, it's about 4cm off the rim now.

I haven't seen the weird white thing since it went into the tank.. It's still slightly cloudy tho.

I was actually wondering if putting Live Rock in the HoB AS WELL AS the Chemi-Pure would benefit in any way?

No it tends to trap detritus in hobs. Some floss changed regularly would be better

No it tends to trap detritus in hobs. Some floss changed regularly would be better

Would I put the floss DIRECTLY in front of the intake? Or just wherever?

So the lil white Anemone thing has sprouted a lil bit and another larger brown Anemone thing has also come out to play.
What you think these are??

This is the brown thing... Is it Aptasia?

This is an overhead of the brown thing:

This is the lil white guy in the foreground:

Please help me out here... I'm mighty confused.

I would get astapsia x as soon as you can or just try the boiling water trick or lemon juice

Well... I'm a day into my reefing life and I've already dealt with Aiptasia...

Don't know what people complain about... Literally took about 2 mins

Back
Top Bottom