Celestial Pearl Danio swimming oddly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I noticed that one of my CPDs swims in an odd manor earlier, sort of like it's out of balance and has to kick its tail to keep it heading in the right direction. I've uploaded a video (excuse the poor iPad quality) to try and shown you what I mean, the fish swims in front of the first large rock with its head up, should be easy to spot.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

Thanks
Andy

Difficult to tell from the video ... from the glimpse I caught, it looks kind of like it's swimming against a current. Do you have any powerheads, canister filter that's producing a current?

There isn't really a current, I have a hob filter that's set low-med so its not that as non of the other fish are like it, makes me think it may have been like it for a while.

It's sort of like when you tread water in the swimming pool, like your trying to stay afloat, kind of lol

Watching it again it seems like if it stops swimming it quickly sinks to the bottom of the tank, so it has to keep swimming to stay midwater etc.

It's hard to tell from the video but I've read of this happening: Celestial Pearl Danio • View topic - Danio swimming weird I have cpds too and when I first got them I noticed some swimming in jerky movements but they seem fine otherwise, although I did lose one. :( . Just keep an eye on them. Also what are you feeding them? Swim bladder could be an issue as well with small fish such as these. You could try feeding a thawed, deshelled, unsalted frozen pea. I feed mine peas once per week (and fast them once per week) and they go nuts for the peas.

That's great to know! Do you offer peas on a regular schedule? What fish:pea ratio?

One day per week. I fast them one day per week as well. I actually learned about feeding fish peas here on AA. I have small fish (23 fish total) so I usually microwave or boil a frozen 2 peas for a couple of minutes (I add a drop of Prime to the water b/c I'm paranoid but it may not be needed), then I pop the pea from its shell. I break them in half and put the pieces into the tank. A small group will usually go after each piece and feed. After an hour or so I take the remains out. Now, larger fish would probably need 1/4 of a pea each to themselves but mine are small so I give them a few pieces so they can each get some and take the remainder out so it doesn't foul the water. Then I fast them the day after I feed them the pea (or sometimes the day before, it depends, not sure if the order matters much). This give the fish's digestive system a chance to catch up from the food they eat all week and if they are constipated the peas help with that too. Plus it's fun to watch them eating peas. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom