celestial pearl danios vs pheonix rasbora?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liberator123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a future 5.5g heavily planted red cherry shrimp tank that I am cycling at the moment. After its cycled I will add maybe a dozen shrimps and wait till they settle down and start populating a month later. Afterwards, when I feel like the population/tank is stable enough, I want to add small fish to finish the tank off.
Ive been looking up about pheonix rasbora (boraras merah) and galaxy rasbora aka celestial pearl danios (danio margaritatus) and figured that my choice of fish will be up to these two. I considered chili rasbora, but sources say pheonix rasboras are smaller.
My questions: how many of either small fish should i keep in a 5.5 gallon tank with rcs?
Which fish would house better with rcs? (which is slower/less aggressive)
Which would compliment rcs better (looks)?
Which is bigger/smaller?
Would it be possible to have both? maybe 5 of each? (as i am indecisive and might end up trying to get both)

Honestly both Phoenix and Chili rasboras are the same size but your going to get better color IMO with the Chili's. I have a 24g and 55g nano fish tanks with many types of nano fish. Chili's are one of my favorites.

Since it's only a 5.5g tank I suggest picking one type of fish only since your doing shrimp as well.

I have a future 5.5g heavily planted red cherry shrimp tank that I am cycling at the moment. After its cycled I will add maybe a dozen shrimps and wait till they settle down and start populating a month later. Afterwards, when I feel like the population/tank is stable enough, I want to add small fish to finish the tank off.
Ive been looking up about pheonix rasbora (boraras merah) and galaxy rasbora aka celestial pearl danios (danio margaritatus) and figured that my choice of fish will be up to these two. I considered chili rasbora, but sources say pheonix rasboras are smaller.
My questions: how many of either small fish should i keep in a 5.5 gallon tank with rcs?- Up to 10 with good maintenance.
Which fish would house better with rcs? (which is slower/less aggressive) They are equally non-aggressive and shouldn't be any risk to your shrimp.
Which would compliment rcs better (looks)? IMO- boraras if you have a black or dark background.
Which is bigger/smaller? The boraras are slightly smaller (and less bulky) than the danios.
Would it be possible to have both? maybe 5 of each? You could, but their behaviors would be better in a single larger group. (as i am indecisive and might end up trying to get both)

My opinions in blue.

so basically in the end it just depends on personal preference?
I am using eco complete for the tank, so its a dark/blackish substrate. And from pictures online, chili rasbora does look more colorful (being red might match nicely with red cherry shrimp?). As for the same size, I will take your word for it rivercats. So, I will probably get the one that is more available online (and cheaper).
I will not get celestial pearl danios tho (maybe for another tank in the future XD), as i think boraras look like they might blend better with rcs. And according to some people (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57986) boraras feed at the top more than CPD, and I want top feeders rather than bottom (since the shrimps will be at bottom).
Er maybe the title should be renamed Boraras merah vs brigittae? lol

I have 30 Chili's and they tend to stay closer to the top. I rarely see them lower than the middle of the tank. Just be sure when you feed them that their food is small, really small. Some of mine are only about 3/8 of an inch. Plus give them time to color up especially if you get some really tiny ones. And don't forget to put a sponge cover over your filter intake which you'll need for the shrimp anyway. I like my little guys a lot. I also have Eco complete as the substrate in their tank.

I have 30 Chili's and they tend to stay closer to the top. I rarely see them lower than the middle of the tank. Just be sure when you feed them that their food is small, really small. Some of mine are only about 3/8 of an inch. Plus give them time to color up especially if you get some really tiny ones. And don't forget to put a sponge cover over your filter intake which you'll need for the shrimp anyway. I like my little guys a lot. I also have Eco complete as the substrate in their tank.
Yeah i decided to go with chili rasbora. I have full life spectrum 0.5 mm small fish pellets. Planning to feed them that. Or i will crush other fish food too.

Yeah i decided to go with chili rasbora. I have full life spectrum 0.5 mm small fish pellets. Planning to feed them that. Or i will crush other fish food too.

I tried them but they were too big...lol! Really I had to crush those tiny little pellets so they could eat them!

Yep. You'll need to finely crush flake or pellets for them. We feed ours golden pearls and decap BS.

Back
Top Bottom