Centerpiece fish for 35 gal hex tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spittinfly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I need suggestions for the tank. You can see what we have now and my wife would would like some Neon Tetras and an Angel (she is sooo coming around).

How many Neons would make a good school and is 1 angel ok in the tank?

I don't know if she is set yet so any other suggestions for this tank would be great. I would like a nice focal fish. She is sick of looking at all the "goldfish" that we now have.

I would make the angel be the centerpiece fish; rather than neons, I'd look into cardinals (look like neons, only slightly larger, more durable, and less likely to become angel food).

You could also go with cories for clean-up crew, and maybe a school of harlequin rasbora or rummy noses?

An angelfish would be fine and a great focal fish. A school of around 6 tetras would be good...rummy nose are some great looking tetras if you haven't seen them. I pretty much agree with Voodoo all around. Harlequins are great schooling fish.

I am pretty sure we are going with the Angel.

Can I keep just one or do I need to have a pair?

If so is just male or female better?

Probably will do the Neons since she liked her brothers.

I highly suggest you don't put an angel in the same tank as neons. As others have pointed out, and I experienced first hand, angels will eat neons given half the chance. You need to get at least a slightly larger tetra species like cardinals or rummynose.

Angels are one of my favorite fish. But I am going to put in my 2 cents here. Angels grow and do it rather quickly especially if fed live food and protein as they should. Angels appear much more content swimming back and forth as opposed to up and down. A hex tank does not give this type of fish the distance. I am not saying that you can't successfully raise one angel in a hex tank but that you might consider a few other options for this tank and the day that you get that 55g (or more) you then opt for a couple. I say this as 75% want another tank, or a bigger tank at some point. We've affectionately given it a name MTS (multiple tank syndrome)...lol
Since you like neons anyway perhaps a few swordtails or lyretail swords to accompany the neons. There are alot of different colorations on swords and there are beautiful lyretails (these may be a little less hardy though than the standard sword so lyretails after tank is established) A male betta can be raised successfully with swords and platys and cardinal tetras. Highfin platys (varietas) are fun to watch. A few small cories for the substrate and you can have an interesting tank that's fun to watch. Angels are great, I have a spawning pair....so I understand and by all means go with the angel if you are set on one. I just personally don't like to only have one of a species because it makes me feel better to think they've got a buddy - whether they are schooling type fish or not (betta is an exception!)
You can do a search on the internet to look over livebearers and become a regular at a LFS you feel good about. They will order whatever you want and get it for you as soon as it's available.
Happy fishing!

Thanks for the caring advice. I will see what fish are out there and make the best decision. Won't be for a while yet as I am having a little fun with the breeder tank right now.

Back
Top Bottom