Change out questions!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaZX6r

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all. I have a few questions about a tank change out and what's involved. First of all I have a 30 gal. tank with 5 tetras and a red tail. I knew it was going to be a temporary tank. So, I acquired a 90 gal. today. the questions I have are what do I need to do for a transfer to the new tank? Can I transplant the water to the new tank from the old tank with the fish? or do I have to cycle the new tank for 4 weeks like I did the 30 gal? This tank also needs new trim on the top for the new canopies/lights. where can I buy these at? the glass is 1/2 inch thick. Also, the new tank is outside(not in the sun) being tested for leaks. How long should I let it sit before I drain-clean-refill? Thanks a lot for any info!!!
Al
Also, How many more fish can I put in if any??

Last edited:
If you move the filter from the 30 to the 90 in addition to the new filter for the 90 you should have little to no cycle in the new tank.

What do you mean by trim? Are you referring to the frame? What is wrong with it? Do you have any pics of the issue?

yup, the frame on top is separating and falling off.... the back frame is gone. still holding water ok.

I don't think that is a standard tank if it has 1/2" glass. It could be older or custom.

Anything on the tank that indicates who made it?

i cant find who made it. its the same dimensions as a 55 gal. only with 1/2 inch glass. any ideas?

Same as a 55? A 55 is 48x13x20. A standard 90 is 48x18x24

What is yours?

The frame that's on there is 13 1/4 X 48 1/2
The tank is 13 1/8 x 48 3/8 x 30

now that I did the measurements and calculations.... I do believe it's more like a 70 gal than a 90.... I think I got burned....

Well.....that is interesting. At least that explains the 1/2" glass.

I think that is a little over 80 gallons.

You could call around and see if anyone would have a frame for it. Or you could look into eurobracing it. Honestly, I have no idea how much bracing a tank that tall needs.

Okay..... no one carries framing for half inch glass..... tried tthe euro bracing route.... no one will cut the glass to the specs I need.... the original framing had no center brace. Do I need one? Because the idea I have is to get a 36 inch canopy/light in the center, along with 6 inch pieces of glass cut for either side. I tried uploading pics of the tank but it wont let me. The outside dimensions are 48 1/4 x 13 x 30 .... so I believe it's a 75 gal. Tank not 90. Now since it had no previous center brace will this set up work? Will I be ok with the glass on either end? Glass places wont cut a 48 inch long piece for me. I am desperately trying to not make my tank look ghetto. Let me know any thought, suggestions.... thanks all

Back
Top Bottom