Changed my mind to a 75.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brant

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 gal now but ran out of stuff to do with and have set my mind on getting a second much larger tank and the spot I have to put one in is about 5'x3' I imediatly wanted to get the biggest I could fit there a 120gal so talked it over with my lfs. Price was higher but ok I will save for it now yesterday I stopped at lfs to look at more driftwood (for the bigger tank lfs gets shipments wed so I stop and buy pieces I like and store them till I get my tank) and low and behold he has a 120 gal someone orderd and he shows it to and asks if I am sure this is what I want. Man that thing is big high and wide 8O after seeing it no way the spot I have I will not be able to clean it properly so I look at the 75 gal :D me like and I can reach the back from the front. And at the third of the cost of the 120. Now a question of stocking I have my heart set on few fish I really like. Can you all tell me if they will fit ok in a 75 gal?

2-clown loaches
1-black gohst knife fish
1-larger pleco(probably one that will grow to 1 foot mark)
1-mid sized catfish(8-12")
and maybye 2 groamies or 2 ciclids(that is if I can find ones that like neutral ph and softer water)
Thanks for any input.

Very interesting stocking plan. I've been thinking about going a similar route for my next tank. I don't see any problem, although you maybe pushing your stocking limit with cichlids, depending on what type. And if you go with aggressive cichilds, you would probably want to make sure the loaches are bigger, and introduce the cichlids as juveniles so they grow up around the other fish. Hard to give a more precise answer without knowing what types of cichlids you want.

I currently have 4 juvenile clown loaches in my 55. When they get to about 6-7", I would like to add a second tank between 70 and 100 gallons, and move the loaches, go with a pleco or two, a bkf, and maybe a couple of parrots or something along those lines. We'll see. My plans may very well change by that point. Just thought I'd mention it since it seems somewhat similar to what you are proposing.

The loaches, by the way, as I'm sure you know, seem happier and are a lot more fun to watch in larger groups. For your setup, I might scrap the cichlid idea, and add 2 more loaches. You could still probably get away with the gouramis without being overstocked, but it would depend on what kind. Anyway, that's just my $.02.

I'm partial to 75 gal tanks, so I agree with your choice.

In regard to stocking, IMO having the combo of the GK, large cat and large pleco in addition to the clowns will create a lot of competition on the bottom levels of the tank. If it were me, I would drop either the GK and cat or the clowns.

In regard to the cichlids, angels and rams can co-exist and they make interesting centerpiece fish. You will need some dither fish to round it out and tetras would be my choice.

HTH.

Are BGK's mostly bottom dwellers? The ones I have seen have been all over the place, so I didn't realize that.

Ok I can drop the mid sized catfish (that was the one I wanted) the clowns are my daughters pick, maybe I could talk her into 5 yo-yos instead or somthing like them. I am seting the tank up with sand substrate so I want somthing that will stirr it up for me. I can drop the graumy,ciclid idea too. The black ghost well that has to stay(my moms favorite).And the pleco well I won't have a tank without one(or mabye 2 lol) but might switch them to smaller variaty like bristlenose or clown plecos(that is if I think I can keep the knifefish from eating the offspring).

I can never find bristlenoses here. :( I would love to get one, but just can't seem to locate them. Too bad I don't live in NY since I know someone there who raises them. ;)

Back
Top Bottom