Changing filter media in HOB filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I totally changed out my media in my Skilter 250 last night. I had been leary to do it before, as I didnt want to kill good bacteria, but when I looked at the pad, it had brown slimy areas...so I chucked it.

I put in a new pad, and checked my NO3, which I have been battleing with for a while......not much of a change, but do you think this will help?

I had not changed the pad in about 3 months, but I rinse it out from time to time with old PWC water. How ofter should you change the pad?...I have about 15 lbs of LR in the tank, and a 2" base of LS.......do you think this provides good enough nitrification?

I would like to change the pad more often........perhaps totally remove it?.....would replacing it totally with LR rubble be a better idea?

I am in the process of removing the sponges and media from my canister. I think that is where my algae is coming from. I did notice my phosphates dropped from 1 to .05 in about 5 hours. I forget, what size tank do you have...10G? If so, you can probably remove the media, and replace w/LR rubble. Others are welcome to chime in....

If I could it would be great....I think it would work much better.

I would like to leave a little space to add carbon if I need too.

The tank is a 10 gal.

I'm working on a journal w/pics/numbers. Once I am done, I'll post the whole thing.

I'm gradually going to start eliminate my HOB filter. Going to start with 1 bio wheel, then the other, then the filter media, then the whole thing.

The way its shaped, it hold crud, food, etc., in its bottom, and every time I turn the filter on/off, or change the media, it all busts loose and comes flying out into the tank.

I vacuum it once in awhile, but its really hard to vacuum...

I'm gradually going to start eliminate my HOB filter. Going to start with 1 bio wheel, then the other, then the filter media, then the whole thing.

I was advised by some on this site, to remove and test after about 5 hours. Give it about 4-5 days, before you remove the other one, feed lightly and test.....

When I removed my bio wheel I did not see much of a change. THen again I only had it out for two days and when there was no change I just put it back in and once again no change. I think tomorrow im just gonna take it out and see if my nitrates go down at all. Ill let you guys know if the numbers go down when I remove it........

Back
Top Bottom