changing filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catalina

Aquarium Advice Activist
I can't help feeling that this is an incredibly stupid question that shows complete ignorance for the process of biological filtration. But the subtitle of this forum says there are no stupid questions, and after extensive reading of this site, I trust the people here to answer more than anyone else.
I need to change the filter in my five gallon tank that currently houses one dwarf gourami, because the current is much too hard for him and pushes him around whenever he is on that side of the tank. (It is a whisper power external canister filter- thanks jackie!.) I am going to get the same kind of filter to replace it with (unless anyone has any better suggestions), but i want a filter with adjustable settings, like in my ten gallon tank, that i can adjust to lessen the water current. My question is, how can I change the filter without messing up the tank's cycle? It is currently not finished cycling, I would say about one more week to go. Should I put the screen that is in my current filter in the new filter? Or will it not make a difference? Thanks so much in advance for your help. I feel like such a blazing newbie, but I still know more than anyone else I know in real life!

Howdy there...
You are right, there are NO stupid questions. How else are you gonna learn if you don't ask?
As for your filter, what I would do is run the other filter on the other side of the tank for a while, simultaneously with the one already in there. Run it till the aquarium cylces with BOTH of them there, this way, you don't remove any bacteria and you allow the new filter to start retaining the good bacteria.
Hope that helps somewhat...
Bondstreet

I agree. I can recommend the Penguin Bio Wheel Mini as a good filter for that size tank. With the bio wheel, you don't disturb the biofilter much when you change cartriges.

ok, that helps a lot. thanks for recommending a better filter, as i have seen some advice in online forums suggesting that a whisper is not the best. thanks very much to you both!

Run it till the aquarium cylces with BOTH of them there, this way, you don't remove any bacteria and you allow the new filter to start retaining the good bacteria.

I generally go for 4 weeks with both filters running. If both are running till the tank cycles, and the old filter is removed, there may not be enough bacteria on the new filter if there is only one week left on your cycle. If you go with the penguin, I'd run both until you start to see growth on the biowheel to be safe. That's a pretty good indication that you have the bacteria required. You will sometimes see a baby spike in the bad stuff, but nothing too bad.

Back
Top Bottom