Changing my Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello! I just have a quick question. My original stock for a 38 gallon was this:

6 platies
7 cory cats
9 neon tetras
1 betta fish

But I feel like the middle of the tank would be a bit empty with only one school, so can I make the neon tetra school smaller, to six or something, and then add another school of different fish like more tetras? Like rummy nose tetras or gold neon tetras? Could I do that to make the tank a little more full, or would I then be overstocked?

Actually I'd reduce the platy number if anything; they are rather messy fish and will contribute to your bioload more than the tetras would. I'd go down to 4 platy and add 6 of another school, rummynose or gold neons. Also bettas are hit and miss with community fish; it may go after the other fish, particularly the platys which have some large fins. Add the betta last but have a back-up plan for it if it doesn't work out.

That's too bad about the platies. I have four and a lot of fry, so I was hoping to keep some of the babies from my first ever batch of fry. It's okay, I can just sell them all.

I've got a backup plan for the betta fish as well. It's hard to not when everyone reminds me lol.

So I'll start planning out what fish I want for the second school. How much should I reduce the original neon tetra school?

Back
Top Bottom