Changing Reef Over to Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveSTL

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 27 gallon cube (20 x 18 x 20 deep) which is a reef tank now but I'm going to turn it into a planted tank. It will be basically an Amazonian biotope with Serpae tetras and another tetra shoal to be determined.

It currently has:

Kessil 360WE w/ Spectral controller
(2)Vortech MP10
Heater
ATO
HOB refugium

I believe I can keep the light (?), heater, and ATO. No need for the Vortechs.

So questions:

The Kessil will work for a planted tank?

I'll keep the refugium to keep the heater, CO2 diffuser and bubble counter, ATO, etc. out of the display tank. Any benefit to planting it and running it on a reverse light cycle from the display tank or should I just fill it full of Bioballs or the like?

Suggestions for a reasonably priced CO2 system?

Starting to build a new stand today. It will be Stickley style with a drawer and door on the front side and another door or removable panel on the left side. Drawer front will actually be on hinges and open up to display Spectral light control, autofill control and a DJ outlet strip. Bottom will be for ATO reservoir (5 gallon bucket) and CO2 tank.

Any other general suggestions?

I have a 27 gallon cube (20 x 18 x 20 deep) which is a reef tank now but I'm going to turn it into a planted tank. It will be basically an Amazonian biotope with Serpae tetras and another tetra shoal to be determined.

It currently has:

Kessil 360WE w/ Spectral controller
(2)Vortech MP10
Heater
ATO
HOB refugium

I believe I can keep the light (?), heater, and ATO. No need for the Vortechs.

So questions:

The Kessil will work for a planted tank?

I'll keep the refugium to keep the heater, CO2 diffuser and bubble counter, ATO, etc. out of the display tank. Any benefit to planting it and running it on a reverse light cycle from the display tank or should I just fill it full of Bioballs or the like?

Suggestions for a reasonably priced CO2 system?

Starting to build a new stand today. It will be Stickley style with a drawer and door on the front side and another door or removable panel on the left side. Drawer front will actually be on hinges and open up to display Spectral light control, autofill control and a DJ outlet strip. Bottom will be for ATO reservoir (5 gallon bucket) and CO2 tank.

Any other general suggestions?

The refugium wil be fine for a filter. no biowheels and no activated carbon are the no nos for planted aquarium. Filter floss bioballs perlite are good mediums

Not sure on the light..... Should work... I would need more specs..

But here I found this

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/872513-kessil-360we-my-ada-60p.html

As for Co2 systems shop around ebay or amazon for a regulator/solenoid I use reviews to determine whats the best bang for the buck. CO2 bottles can usually be bought or leased from local shops

Look into making a CO2 reactor. Diffusers will work but reactors really work and its added filtration and water flow

With a high tech planted aquarium set your self up to be able ot adjust any of the 3 parts you need. Lights should be able to be raised or lowered and/or dimmed if needed. CO2 needs to be increased or decreased depending on KH / PH levels, and Fertilizers need to be high enough not to limit any plant growth.

Basically Estimated Index thinking here. The light and the CO2 are the adjustments.. the ferts are always maxed for the plants chosen / light intensity / Co2 saturation

Back
Top Bottom