Changing substrate and rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan450z

Aquarium Advice Freak
I posted another link about my problems/questions on my rock and artificial coral setup that i just hate that has the pictures.

I want to replace that with new live rock. And take this stuff out. Also I am thinking about taking out the crushed coral substrate and replacing it with a more beautiful fine white sand, or live sand. Should I get live or just dead sand?

Also with rock, should I get live, cured, uncured. Once you get live rock isn't it dead once you cure it. This live rock BS just gets me all confused. I also have 3 damsels, a yellow tang, few snails, and a blood shrimp and wanted to know what to do with the livestock if I were to undergo a change.

Thanks for any responses.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f18/coralline-or-cyano-118050.html#post998072

Also if anybody is interested in buying some of my artificial coral peices or the main rock setup, please let me know. I am willing to do business, or trade.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG00207.jpg
    IMG00207.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 64
I would just get dry sand. It will become live over time. If you can get it I would get cured LR for your tank. Most LFS have cured LR in tanks. If not then get uncured and you can cure it in a rubbermaid tub. Read our article on curing LR in our articles section.

Also I forgot to say to replace your substrate just siphon it up about a quarter of the tank spot and then take a PVC pipe and slide the well rinsed sand down to where it needs to be. Then go to the next quarter of the substrate in a few days.

curing live rock is when you allow the dead stuff to rot off or "cook", leaving only live (bacteria,macro algae and inverts) growing on it. When cured the rock is not suppose to cause a cycle in your tank.

thanks for the clarification thincat. thats what i wanted. cured rock to not disrupt my water or current livestock. my LFS is the best in NYC but has live rock for 8 a pound! wow. i guess its top of the line rock and cured. i have never seen a fish store take such good care of their fish and other stuff i just want to find some cheaper live rock.

thanks also melosu58 for how to replace substrate, just like using a funnel. i would have just poured it in really close to the surface but i like your idea much better to create as little mess as i can. i want to create as little stress as possible.

A cheaper way to go would be to use "base rock" (dead LR) that you rinse and then put into your tank and finally use some liverock to seed the base rock. End result is the same just takes a little longer to get the max filtration from your rock. I put in 40# of live rock and then made(DIY) 60# of base rock and cure that and added it to my tank. It became live with a month of being put into my tank. See making homemade LR on this site.

Avoid buying those artificial corals because of these reasons:

1. They are EXPENSIVE (a small piece can be 50 bucks and that is like 75 bucks/a pound!).

2. They look "weird" after the algea start to grow on them. They have the rock coatings but too abnormal shapes to be rocks. My guests often point to those things and ask "What is that?"

3. They give horrible plastic smell and no doubt this may have an effect on the fish. Take one out now and sniff. You will be very humble indeed because the stench will make you bow over!

4. There are better alternatives and cheap. I would buy the cheapest base rocks (look for the ones with thousands of holes) in the freshwater section. These are cheaper. Then let them become live rocks on their own. If you want to speed up the process, put them in a saltwater bucket and place them outside in the sun. Put a pinch of raw seafood (sushi/shrimp) in there too. Algea will start growing very fast.

I ditched all mine and what a waste of money. DP

Back
Top Bottom