Changing substrate assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jespenguin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was wondering what the best way to go about changing the gravel in my 5.5 gallon to sand. Should I take my betta out until it is completely settled?

I would take the fish out. IMO Put him in the same water that you have in the tank.

I just switched from black sand to white in my Fluval Chi, put the beta in bowl with tank water and swapped sand. The switch took around 15 minutes. You'll love the look of sand over gravel!

It was my first set up so it has hot pink and black, and now with my other tanks having natural colored gravel or sand, I think it looks chinsy. Should I wait for the sand to settle before putting him back in?

It was my first set up so it has hot pink and black, and now with my other tanks having natural colored gravel or sand, I think it looks chinsy. Should I wait for the sand to settle before putting him back in?

Did you rinse the sand ?

When you put sand in put something in so that you don't disturb the sand. Like a small plate or cup pour in slowly. Will not fog as much.
Are you putting new water in there. Or using the old.

I have play sand in my 14g and man was it a pain to rince, it took forever! I went and got some pool filter sand now was hoping it was white but its the same color as the play sand but much easier to rince. Pool filter sand has bigger heavier grains so hopefully its easier to clean without sucking sand up in the siphon.

hdultra said:
Did you rinse the sand ?

When you put sand in put something in so that you don't disturb the sand. Like a small plate or cup pour in slowly. Will not fog as much.
Are you putting new water in there. Or using the old.

I'm actually robbing it from one of my other tanks, so it should be well rinsed. I was probably just going to put new seeing as how there's really nothing in the water.

Back
Top Bottom