Changing substrate ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone ! When I bought my 20 gallon fishtank for some reason I got very large gravel. This is turned out to look wonderful but Also terrible at the same time . The large gravel creates larger pockets for leftover food and fish waste to get trapped in. Is there any way I could change out my substrate ? My aquarium isn't fully cycled yet so if I were to change it out how should I?

Should I do it slowly and take it out and replace in in like fourths as to keep as much bacteria In the tank and allow it to spread to the new stuff before its completely gone ?

Just pull it all out, and put in the new substrate. No big deal, the cycle won't be effected to much to worry about. Better to do it now, while it is cycling because then you don't have to worry about it when it's cycled.

Just pull it all out, and put in the new substrate. No big deal, the cycle won't be effected to much to worry about. Better to do it now, while it is cycling because then you don't have to worry about it when it's cycled.

Only problem is I don't have the money for new gravel at the moment :/

Changing the substrate in a well cycled aquarium isn't that big of a deal either if you can afford to do it now. I've changed my substrates a couple times since being cycled and didn't cause any issues at all. Most of your BB is in your filter bed anyway. You can monitor your parameters after you make the change but I wouldn't stress about it. Pool filter sand and blasting sand are both also ver cheap alternatives to pet store gravels

Changing the substrate in a well cycled aquarium isn't that big of a deal either if you can afford to do it now. I've changed my substrates a couple times since being cycled and didn't cause any issues at all. Most of your BB is in your filter bed anyway. You can monitor your parameters after you make the change but I wouldn't stress about it. Pool filter sand and blasting sand are both also ver cheap alternatives to pet store gravels

It's really the only two best options IMO. Unless your going planted or you need the treated stuff for hardness etc. there's no reason to buy the pet store crap

Even in a tropical fish tank sand will work? I just feel like that's way to fine ?

It's really the only two best options IMO. Unless your going planted or you need the treated stuff for hardness etc. there's no reason to buy the pet store crap

I wouldn't call it crap haha, if you're trying for a specific look then it may be a great option. For example I really like the look and texture of some of the caribsea super naturals substrates, which is why I paid a little more for it and got exactly what I wanted. But both the more expensive pet store type substrates and pfs/blasting sand are great options, but like everything some things are cheaper than others

New to the forum and have a question on the blasting sand not trying to hijack but I am switching to a 36g bow front and want to use blasting sand as my substrate my old tank is planted so I will be switching plants over to new tank also my question is does any one know what grain blasting sand works best for a planted tank?

New to the forum and have a question on the blasting sand not trying to hijack but I am switching to a 36g bow front and want to use blasting sand as my substrate my old tank is planted so I will be switching plants over to new tank also my question is does any one know what grain blasting sand works best for a planted tank?

That depends, if you have bottom feeders like Cory's then you want as fine as possible to not injure their barbels. If its a planted tank and your going to get root feeding plants, go with Eco complete as your substrate and call it a day

You jerk! Lol Jk good question helped me out too!

I'm trying to figure out what defines a nano tank still and how do you clean sand ?

Nano tank is just a small tank, generally it 15g or less, really just a fancy word haha. With sand all the gunk and detritus sits on top of it instead of like gravel where it will sink into all the spaces between the gravel. It's a little more noticeable but can actually lead to a cleaner tank and with a cleaner tank, less nitrate buildup. To clean sand you just hover your gravel vacuum 1/4-1/2" above the substrate, or whatever height to suck up the detritus without sucking up sand, it takes a time or two to get it right but isn't difficult.

Nano tank is just a small tank, generally it 15g or less, really just a fancy word haha. With sand all the gunk and detritus sits on top of it instead of like gravel where it will sink into all the spaces between the gravel. It's a little more noticeable but can actually lead to a cleaner tank and with a cleaner tank, less nitrate buildup. To clean sand you just hover your gravel vacuum 1/4-1/2" above the substrate, or whatever height to suck up the detritus without sucking up sand, it takes a time or two to get it right but isn't difficult.

I watched a video online where a guy talked about his Cory's and that what they didnt pick up and got stuck under the sand we would just stir the sand up and then let it settle for a bit and then all the gunk would be on top. Is that true ? I figured that wouldn't be good for the fish to get into their breathing systems

I'm not sure exactly what he was talking about, with Cory's or any other bottom feeders the crud shouldn't be under the sand. If you kind of stir the gravel vac around slightly over the sand it can help loosen and pick up the crud, maybe that's what he was talking about? Or maybe he was talking about anaerobic pockets in the sand?

I'm not sure exactly what he was talking about, with Cory's or any other bottom feeders the crud shouldn't be under the sand. If you kind of stir the gravel vac around slightly over the sand it can help loosen and pick up the crud, maybe that's what he was talking about? Or maybe he was talking about anaerobic pockets in the sand?

Skip to around 3:35 or watch the whole thing
http://youtu.be/zaAaayP_Rao

Ahh, that's interesting. Maybe because in a shop you greatly over stock a tank he gets more buildup in the sand, but I don't think that would be an issue in a regular hobbyists tank. You should just be able to hover the vac over the sand and get all of the gunk out. You should however stir the sand every now and then with your fingers or whatever to prevent anaerobic pockets from forming. I only stir my sand every couple weeks or more and only where I don't have plant roots.

Ahh, that's interesting. Maybe because in a shop you greatly over stock a tank he gets more buildup in the sand, but I don't think that would be an issue in a regular hobbyists tank. You should just be able to hover the vac over the sand and get all of the gunk out. You should however stir the sand every now and then with your fingers or whatever to prevent anaerobic pockets from forming. I only stir my sand every couple weeks or more and only where I don't have plant roots.

This looks interesting !
http://youtu.be/O2NTk8-eerA

Also what is this madness
http://youtu.be/d-XB0bwtZh8

Well the first video is kind of ridiculous, half of the subtitles really aren't accurate haha. The second video is really interesting though. I might have to try that next time.

Back
Top Bottom