Changing the Filter cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all, I decided to start a new thread, my original was desperate newbee. I have a 29g tank has been runing with fish for almost 45 days with no major problems. Thanks to the advice of a lot of people in this forum I'm doing much better now with my tank versus last years trials.

Now I set up a 10G quarantine tank, is fully cycled, good readings, and has 10 cardinal tetras living there for the last 2 weeks. The filter in this tank is a Marineland Pinguin 100 with a biowheel. In the back uses a cartridge filter with carbon. How often do I need to replace this cartridge? The filter has an extra space to put 2 cartridges at the same time. Is it a good idea to put the new cartridge in the second slot before remove the old one no? How long do I keep both?

Thanks for your answers.

The recommended schedule by maker is monthly. I do keep two in and change out one at a time; this keeps more good bacteria around. I have a surplus of those cartridges and that's why I'm doing this way. When I get done, I'm only going to run filter floss; carbon is really only needed when treating or removing something. (IMO).

The only reason they recommend you change them, is so you'll buy more from them. Absolutely no reason to change them. Just rinse them off in a bucket of pwc water when you do a pwc. The only time you'll need to change them is once they start falling apart.

+1

I have never changed any of my filter cartridges since I started the aquarium. The only filter that I have seen that you could change the cartridge without any problems is the Bio-wheel filters, The bio-wheels acts as the sourse of beneficial bacteria.

Tyler

Thanks

Great.
So I will keep both and not changed at all unless they start to disintegrate.
Reading your answers I will just rinsed gently with tank water when they get a little to much gunky or too dirt.
Thanks guys
:-o

I have the Penguin biowheel 150 model and I do keep 2 cartdridges in there at all times, what I do is I rinse the one in the back (farthest from the biowheel) in old tank water and switch places with the one in the front. I do that once a month. Also, every couple of months or if I notice the flow getting slower I clean the impeller (or whatever you call the spinning wheel inside the filter (not the biowheel))

I've been doing this for about 7 months now and never had any issues.

Back
Top Bottom