Chaning substrate suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many gallons is ur tank?
If u can, take the fish to another separate tank and leave them in there until their usual tank is ready.
Turn the filter off when putting sand in or else lots of sand will get sucked in once put in. Let sand settle and then turn back on. Put the bio wheel in a jar of its usual aquarium water.

Okay sounds good!

Alot of people dont realize that benifical bacteria lives in the gravel and uses leftover food and poop to break down into harmless nitrate. You can use those kind of round river stones just fine, just watch your feeding and add Stress Zyme with your weekly water changes. Ive tried them all, pea gravel, Sand, Round River rocks. You can even use dirt with a layer of sand or gravel on top, its just a matter of personal preference of how it looks and maintianing good water change schedule and adding Stress Zyme to get the Benificial Bacteria going good. Its how it works in nature and dont overcrowd the tank or over feed it. Some of my tanks have Just an Undergravel filter and my 40 Breeder tank has just the rocks, plants, and a airstone. Just tested and there is no ammonia in it. Just got to feed lightly 2-3x a day. And only exactly as much as they can eat in 2 minutes, Fishes stomachs are small but they are ready for more food in 3 or 4 hours.

I use topfin brand bacteria . Sucks

Patrick, your gravel in the picture is HUGE! Way too big for aquarium use as spaces between are too big and trap the deterius too far down. Also, so big it would be useless to plants. If someone sold that under the label of aquarium gravel, they should be whipped with a dead 24" pleco.(Spines and all) The best size in gravel is grain sizes from 2 to 4 mm and no larger than 50% at 5mm. Good luck, OS.

Ya it was at petsmart I thought it would look cool overlooked the issues.

If its a fry raising tank and it will be torn down cleaned after they're big enough to move out then this big gravel is good for that. Not a permanent tank gravel though. OS.

If its a fry raising tank and it will be torn down cleaned after they're big enough to move out then this big gravel is good for that. Not a permanent tank gravel though. OS.

They are so small and most of them get eaten I didn't intend to have danios breeding but I found away to get the fry into another tank. Air tubing and a straw and sucking them out ! It worked like a charm got 6 of them! Only problem is I have to vacuum to get me ammonia down because I had been over feeding now I'm feeding my fish
Barely anything compared to before ! Less waste but everytime I vacuum I suck up the eggs ! They just keep laying them !

One thing about the large gravel/pebbles is that it provides ample hiding spaces for the danio fry you mentioned in another thread. Similar to the marble technique for non-adhesive egg layers.

Except when I move stuff around I crush the eggs I'm sure :/ haha

I haven't fed the fry really ! Look at my other thread " baby longfin danios" it's unreal how many fry they keep having !

I would feed the fry as they can starve to death. U can feed them the fish food particles that u find at the bottom of a fish food jar. Or baby brine shrimp.
There amount of fry is nothing compared to the amount of baby koi I have from just one female! I have at least 100+ fry, and all r swimming around so its a shocking sight.

I would feed the fry as they can starve to death. U can feed them the fish food particles that u find at the bottom of a fish food jar. Or baby brine shrimp.
There amount of fry is nothing compared to the amount of baby koi I have from just one female! I have at least 100+ fry, and all r swimming around so its a shocking sight.

They are surviving and growing . The past few days I have been putting in "first bites" powder . They also die when I vacuum them out but alot survive that too and then i put them in another tank.

Tank is just over 2 weeks old and I suctioned up this bad boy !

image-4012029641.jpg

They are surviving and growing . The past few days I have been putting in "first bites" powder . They also die when I vacuum them out but alot survive that too and then i put them in another tank.

Tank is just over 2 weeks old and I suctioned up this bad boy !

Wow. That baby is quite big already! Do u see the eggs or do u only find babies? Do u knw if there eggs r adhesive?

Wow. That baby is quite big already! Do u see the eggs or do u only find babies? Do u knw if there eggs r adhesive?

No idea I've seen them lay the eggs or what I believe to be them doing that never seen an egg though. The female will just do a spin twirl thing towards the bottom and I assume that's her releasing eggs it happens every couple of days she is a baby maker !

No idea I've seen them lay the eggs or what I believe to be them doing that never seen an egg though. The female will just do a spin twirl thing towards the bottom and I assume that's her releasing eggs it happens every couple of days she is a baby maker !

Wow. U could make some $ out of the babies. Eggs every other day........Holy Cow that is a lot.

Wow......... One female danio with more than 50 fry! That is pretty cool. Hope most survive.

I have most of them in a separate tank I used air tubing to suck them out . And it's multiple batches she has been getting busy! I just can't clean my fry tank:/ filters suck them up :(

I use a sponge filter with my baby koi and the water in kept as clean as it was when the hob filter was running.

Back
Top Bottom