Cheap 20" T5 lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gkuzel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I've decided to start up a ten gallon instead of a three gallon, (for my sanity's sake =]) and I was wondering if anyone had any good websites for good cheap t5 fixtures? Anything will help, and I was also wondering what's the going price, I'm seeing like $125, which seems a bit pricey, but heck I'm new to this. haha Thanks in advance!

There is a pet store near me that sells come for about 30bucks there not name brand but I use my on my 12gal plus some led and my fish love it

I will get there website to you tomm any ? Just ask ( sry guys I just saw this form tomm I will update my profile with all my stats)

Well, I was thinking T5 vs LED Any suggestions?

T-5 will be fine for you tank I also suggest a small strip of LEDs that have blue LEDs they will only imhance ur tank

gkuzel said:
Hey guys, I've decided to start up a ten gallon instead of a three gallon, (for my sanity's sake =]) and I was wondering if anyone had any good websites for good cheap t5 fixtures? Anything will help, and I was also wondering what's the going price, I'm seeing like $125, which seems a bit pricey, but heck I'm new to this. haha Thanks in advance!

I think for a 10 gallon u can go for an 18inch t5 lamp. I think u will save abit of money.

Go to marinedepot.com or you can search for billspetstore near 28533 my suggestion would be two bulb t5 with blue LEDs that will be erfect for your tank amd at night make the water look blue

20" is an odd size, most fixtures are made in foot lengths (2ft, 3ft, 4ft, etc.)

A 24" fixtures overhang would be little to none, and much better for you. Also any 18" fixture you'll find wouldn't fit a standard 10G

Here are some great options for a starter, and will allow you a wide variety of corals to keep

2F/2Bulbs fixtures

Amazon.com: 24 in. Nova Extreme T5 HO Saltwater Aquarium Light Fixture - 2 x 24W: Kitchen & Dining

I'd advise against LEDs for price, but if you want to go that route you could do two of these over your tank (Very powerful, you'd have to have them fairly high off the tank)

Nanotuners.com

If you get the right LEDs the wattage vs T5s is miniscule. LEDs will also run cooler, and longer than any other lighting out there. The catch is that they're expensive, T5HOs are almost always the cheapest option for an upfront purchase

Nice fixture Flake. You've got me interested. :) LOL

Did you change out the bulbs from 6700 to a higher kelvin?

That fixture that was linked is a quad power compact. Very powerful. Just not sure on the bulbs. I would want marine power lights rather than the grow lights it looks like it comes with. I'm not a lighting expert so I'll wait and see what the answer is. LOL

I used the standard 6700. First tank, no knowledge. I continued to use it as a teeny grow out after upgrade.

LOL. I couldnt find the bulbs I would want either on the site, the link for compatible bulbs showed nothing quad. :-(

Did you do well with the 6700? Did it grow alot of algae?
The reason I ask is my friends just got a similar light yesterday with 50/50 bulbs for a reef. I told them I didn't think it would grow much, just wondering what CAN grow under that kinda light.

they make a 96w 10k quad.

It didn't grow much algae, grew everything I put in it. I couldn't have asked for a better starter bulb. I barely had to worry about what I was putting in the tank.

Thanks Flake, I appreciate the feedback. May have to look into one of those fixtures. Bit pricey but seems like a solid deal. Thanks again :-D

I don't have a hood on the ten gallon, so I'd need the whole fixture.

Back
Top Bottom