cheap hood/light for a 20g long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blipblop

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm almost done piecing together my tank for my bedroom. I have a metal stand, a 20g long tank and I am going to order and aqua clear 50. Any tips on what I can use as a hood? I checked my LFS and the hood/light assembly is 70 dollars! You have GOT to be kidding... I just want a hood/ light with whatever works. It doesn't have to be pretty

24" would be 20 gallon regulars. Check drsfostersmith.com for glass covers. Then you can use any kind of lighting you want.

Want to be really cheap & you a handy person?

Go to you local glass shop & get them to cut 2 pieces of glass to fit exactly inside the the tank rim, but leaving room for your wires, filters, etc.. You would want a bigger piece in the back of the tank (maybe 2/3 of the depth), and a smaller piece in front. Glue some knobs/handles onto the glass with silicone for ease of handling. Place glass on top of tank. You now have a DIY glass cover! Use handles to remove front glass piece for feeding, & both pieces for cleaning. Some people silicone on hinges so you can just flip the front piece open.

If this is too much work, go buy a premade cover, but this will cost you $30 or more.

Now you can put any kind of light on top of tank. Go to your local home center & pick up a self contained undercabinet fluorescent light of the appropriate length (or whatever you like that will fit, but avoid incandescent light - too much heat & not enough light). Mount the light on a board. Make legs for the board so that the whole thing will sit on top of your glass cover with the light a couple of inches above the glass.

Alternative: hang the light from the ceiling, or overhead shelf with a long chain so the light is at the appropriate height.

To be really pretty: make yourself an enclosed hood to sit on top of the tank & mount your light inside. (Look through the DIY section for ideas.)

yea, i'l love a glass cover. I will check that out! thanks

Also, you can buy the plastic used for the hinge and back (where you make cutouts for equipment) from Drs Foster&Smith. They come in 6 foot sections, so you can make parts for several tanks. A bit expensive with shipping unless you are placing a larger order, though.

Here's the link: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+3731+13819&pcatid=13819

Sometimes a LFS will have the hinge/back pieces from broken tops sitting around (mom&pop shops more than big-box stores).

Back
Top Bottom