Cheato won't grow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yswong

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

My cheato in refugium won't grow. I bought them a month ago and it's still the same. What should I do? Add calcium?

If your water is very low in nutrents (NO3 and PO4) the cheato will not grow..
The normal light cycle is 12-24 hours on a fuge though (normaly reverse photo-period if
less then 24 hours)
and a daylight spectrium bulb like the one you have is best.. 5000-6700K or so..

My guess is the light isnt on long enough.. your bulb isnt intence enough for the size of
your fuge.. or you dont have enough nutrents for the cheato to grow.

You might be right. My nitrate was between 0 or 5ppm(hard to read the test) before I added the cheato. I have a 29gal with a 20 gal refugium. The light bulb might not be intense enough for the cheato. I'll try to increase light hours a little bit more.

how aggressively are you skimming? I would actually cut back if you think its a nutrient issue as skimming removes dissolved organics including nitrates and phosphates which are necesary for algae growth. longer lighting should also boost growth but I would also test for calcium just to be sure.

Try running your lights 24/7 and add a little iron supplement. Like others have stated, you need a decent nitrate and phosphate load. Kind of a catch 22 since we try so hard to limit them, but the macros need them to grow.

KG

Chaeto isn't inclined to go sexual like Caulerpa so I wouldn't worry there. Up your bulb and your photo period and then just be happy!

greenmaji said:
ive read some theories that it low nutients will make it go sexual.. soooo.. just a word of caution.. :?
Chaetomorpha doesn't reproduce sexually, so no worries there :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I think I set my skimmer to be too aggressive. That might be the issue. I add Kent Coral-Vite mineral supplements about 2 or 3 times a week. Fish, inverts and corals are really healthy. I haven't heard cheato go sexual so I actually wouldn't worry about that. :D

steve-s said:
Chaetomorpha doesn't reproduce sexually, so no worries there :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the clarification steve.. It's good to know at least one of the macro's dont reproduse sexually... :p
Any others besides chaetomorpha that are safe in this regard?
I feel kinda bad for not knowing this but for some reason I error on the side of caution with macro's. :oops:

I would also say increase your lighting period. As long as the cheato is not shrinking however IMO you are alright. Like the others have said the purpose of it to begin with is to decrease nutrient loads in your system. If it ain't broke don't fix it applies here IMO.

Back
Top Bottom