Check out my 38g cube reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendy8184

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my husband bought me a new aquarium for an early Christmas present. He wanted to give it to me early so i would be able to have fish and corals by Christmas. He bought me a Marineland 38g column tank w/ stand, Kessel Blue Tuna wide adjustable light, dual controlable powerheads, and a HOB filter. I took pics of the setup as we put it together. Tonight we put water and some LR in. Now the wait begins....This is my 3rd SW tank. I have a 150g in wall reef tank in my office, and another 95g wave tank also in my office in a waiting area. In the 150g there is a Regal tang, 2 clowns, Naso tang, blue chromis, and flame angel. Also various shrimp and snails and crabs. In 95g fish only tank there is a neon dottyback, bangai cardinal, 2 Clarke Clowns, various damsels and a curly Q anemone. Soooo....what to put in this 38g? Want to have lots of soft corals, mushrooms, zoos, etc... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20121102_213923.jpg
    20121102_213923.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 20121103_175252.jpg
    20121103_175252.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 20121103_190148.jpg
    20121103_190148.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 20121105_194308.jpg
    20121105_194308.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 196
Make is a Nem tank!! It would be awesome, have a pair of designer clowns and really bright BTA's and other anemones!

Tank looks great really do like the cube/column look. For m something that jumps straight out would be a bubble tip anemone with a black and white occ clown and a standard occ clown hosting it in the dead centre of the tank to me that would be awesome, but what effect are you going for?

i was going for really soft flowing corals, i like anemones.... really want a carpet or some type at bottom with clowns hosting it.... also i'm going to build up lr around the back wall and sweep down around the buda statue so i would like corals and mushrooms to flow around her... kind of like shes a lost statue in the ocean. Does that make sense? Just a few fish to give some flash of color.

by the way, i cut about an inch and a half off the bottom of the statue so shes not quite as tall as she was...now shes in the sand up to her knees

Love the tank cant wait to see your scape work :)

just finished aquascaping...what do you think? Going to put "flowy" corals along the sides and bottom. Maybe some hammer or torch towards top?

Attachments

• IMG_20121117_173108.jpg
    IMG_20121117_173108.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20121117_173056.jpg
    IMG_20121117_173056.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20121117_173118.jpg
    IMG_20121117_173118.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 171
WOW!... You did an amazing job. Im really looking forward to seeing it grown over with corals and coraline now :)

Thank you! I can't wait for it to finish cycling so I can put something in it. It seems so bare with nothing moving around. I bought egg crate to cover the top so my new fish cant jump out yet the light can still shine in fully.

Should I be adding PurpleUp now? Before any corals are in there?

:fish1:Thank you! I cant wait to start putting stuff in. I see all this cool stuff online and i cant get it yet

my tank is starting to cycle and all numbers starting to spike....have ugly diatoms blooming...does this ugly brown go away? By itself? I can't remember...and about how long does it take?

Yes it will go away on its own. In some tanks it takes longer than others. When i started my tank the diatoms were completely gone in 2 weeks.

Yeah boi thats mad as love the lotus budda looks so awsome 11/10

Thanks guys!!! Still waiting for the ugly brown to go away:nono: Wont be long til I can start putting fish in....today i brought some star polyps home from my work tank, and put them in. They werent doing so great in the tank at work so i figured it couldnt hurt. All my levels are down to almost zero now so its just about time

On Fri. i bought a tomato clown and a candy cane coral from my lfs. The candy cane looks good and the star polyps are still doing great. The clown went straight to the back of the tank and hasnt ventured out since. He thinks about swimming to the front but then goes back. I dropped a few pellets in the back and he ate a few as they were falling, but I dont know.... hopefully hes just being shy... waiting for light to come on and then will post some pics..oh, also bought 3 hermit crabs...all is well with them.

Im sure the clown is just settleing in. He will get more brave in a couple days and he will be all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom