Checking my Stock levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy!

I just wanted to see what everyone thought of my stocking levels... if they are good and if there was room for anything more.

It is a 55g tank with a Fluval 405 canister filter.
Planted OK amound, not too heavy.
Running CO2 from a 5g tank with an electric soloniod.
Have about 4 watts/gallon (2x40 watt regular bulbs and 2x54 watt T5HO).

Right now I have 10 regular tiger barbs, 3 albino tiger barbs, 4 rainbow fish, 3 cory cats, one siamese alge eater and 1 brisle nose pleco. I also have 6 really small fish I'm not sure what are but are a bit larger than neons (about 1" long, 1/4" in diameter and have 2 black stripes down the side).

Everyone seems happy but I would like some more color if possible. I know there are a lot of barbs and I'm not going to get rid of any (I love those barbs!). I was thinking about 2 of the Bolivian Rams as I saw them for the first time at my LFS but don't know how they do with other fish and I don't want them eating my small guys).

So, how is my stocking? What do people think? I don't think I'm at too much right now but don't know about the future.

I'd say you can add the Bolivians if you want to. They won't bother your other fish.

maybe thinking about adding a couple more SAE? mine always swim together. i think they do better in groups.

I'll have to look into more SAE and Cory Cats. The 3 cats I have do a really good job of keeping the place clean but wouldn't mind getting more, I know they have a minimal impact on the bio load. I originally had 3 SAE but two of them died the first week and never got more. The entire reason for getting them was because I have BBA and they are supposed to take care of that. Nothing so far with the one (but he/she is fat!).

I went to the store and they really shot down the idea of getting the Bolivians. They said they are more of a shy fish and my 13 tiger barbs would likely stress them to death.

I figured out the 6 other fish are zebra danios (sp?). They also have some that have been changed a bit to make them different colors. I know my fiance really likes pink so was going to pick up a couple pink ones and maybe a yellow and/or green. They are like neon colors and very bright. I haven't done that yet.

Smitty,

The LFS is correct with the barbs possibly badgering the Rams. While Bolivian Rams are hardier than their Gold or German Blue cousins, they still get stressed easy.

As for the neon danios, personally I have an ethics issue with dyed/altered fish so I honestly can not recommend them, but I can say the zebra danios are great fish to have. They are very fast so should be able to out swim the barbs. Barbs are nice looking fish, but they do tend to get overly aggressive.

I've kept Bolivians and tiger barbs together with no issues. In a big enough school (which you have) IME it's really unlikely that they will harass the rams. The rams hardly ever leave the bottom 1/3 of the tank anyway. If we were talking about a fish that occupies the same swimming area as the barbs, it might be different, but all the Bolivians I've ever kept are really hardy and have done fine.

Bolivians and blue rams will do fine with tiger barbs. Bolivians get larger than the blues so they may be better off with the tiger barbs. However, the blue rams can definitely hold their own and are fiestier than the Bolivians. Could actually do a pair of each if you wanted to do so.

Back
Top Bottom