chemicals? ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so im about to start my first tank ever my dad has a 72 gallon freshwater and says he doesn't even test his water or cycle his tanks BUT, I've been reading and im gonna do it right. Now I've already got my api test kit and I am planning on getting some prime water conditioner on my next trip to the store.....but what else do I really need???

If your just doing a fresh water tank with no plants you would need to start:
Prime
Test kits for:
PH
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates

And that's really it. Ask about chemicals when you have a sick fish or start putting live plants in your tank :lol:

The owner of my LFS said it the best. "chemicals for the aquarium are like drugs for humans. You take a pill for headaches and end up with dizziness and diarrhea. leave them alone" :ROFLMAO:

im planning on fishless cycling with doses of ammonia and will probably put a light spread if live plants in. I don't want a jungle

I'd ask your dad for some of his filter media to put in your filter. That would seed your filter with the needed bacteria and speed up your cycle immensely. :)

I was gonna get some from him but I have a question about that....he runs a canister filter and he says he runs carbon in it would him running the carbon affect the seeded filter if he gave me one ir would it still do the job the same

blizowman1 said:
I was gonna get some from him but I have a question about that....he runs a canister filter and he says he runs carbon in it would him running the carbon affect the seeded filter if he gave me one ir would it still do the job the same

Carbon won't effect it at all. It's fine to use.

so I've heard alot of different views of carbon like some use it all the time and some only use it when medicating tanks or with new woods that leak die...im getting the aquaclear 70 and I wasn't planning on using carbon maybe two sponges and a bag of rings or maybe one sponge and two bags of rings but I here so much both ways im a little confused on what to do

blizowman1 said:
so I've heard alot of different views of carbon like some use it all the time and some only use it when medicating tanks or with new woods that leak die...im getting the aquaclear 70 and I wasn't planning on using carbon maybe two sponges and a bag of rings or maybe one sponge and two bags of rings but I here so much both ways im a little confused on what to do

I don't see the point of carbon. If you have a reason to use it like removing meds that's fine. But if you have a healthy clean tank there's no point in wasting time and money on carbon replacements. JMO

2 sponge and rings is what i use. And yes, I only use carbon after medicating (so don't throw it away for future use)

Also the wood leaks what called tannins. it wont effect the fish and will make your water a little softer. People just don't like the tea colored water it gives.

ok so two sponges and one ring, keep carbon for sick days, prime, and a test kit....so no kind of ph+ or -.... I should be set with the list above huh..that's good stuff what is the best way to feet plants by the way cause like I said im not gonna fill it up but I wanna natural look with probably low like ..
cause right now I have one 10,000 k t5 and a actinic t5 both 31w but thinking about running a 10 and 6,500 or instead of the 6,500 maybe a colormax whatever the lfs recommends

No ph+ or -

really no need to change ph. most fish can adapt.

For plants I would suggest:
Java moss
Java fern
Anubis
and maybe some swords?

All those are fairly easy to take care of. If you do start with plants just be ready for an algae bloom. If you really want you can get some Flourish for fertilizer.

blizowman1 said:
ok so two sponges and one ring, keep carbon for sick days, prime, and a test kit....so no kind of ph+ or -.... I should be set with the list above huh..that's good stuff what is the best way to feet plants by the way cause like I said im not gonna fill it up but I wanna natural look with probably low like ..
cause right now I have one 10,000 k t5 and a actinic t5 both 31w but thinking about running a 10 and 6,500 or instead of the 6,500 maybe a colormax whatever the lfs recommends

NO pH up or downers. They do more harm than good. A stable pH that's a little high or low is much better than an unstable chemically altered one.

Lighting depends on the types of plants You wish to keep. You can probably get away with the lighting you already have if you do low light plants.

Back
Top Bottom