Cherry shrimp dying while molting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bsurfr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My shrimp are dying when they molt, some seem to molt fine, others die with a crack in their shell, but still intact, what is goimg on? How can I help them?

What is the GH of the water in the tank? And are you seeing dead shrimp or just the molts and assuming that they are dead?

Dead shrimp. Looks like they are trying to molt. Is gh alkalinity? Or hardness? Ill have to chcheck when I get home

GH is the measure of calcium and magnesium mainly, so hardness. KH is alkalinity.

Had a little ammonia around the time of death, but 0 now. Nitrites 0, nitrates less than 5, but in a planted tank with lots of plants. They seem fine until molting. Alkalinity is at 180, but so is the tap water

Shrimp are very sensitive to ammonia. If it was there prior to their death, that may be what caused them to die. It could also be that the ammonia came after they died too.

Okay, another one died that just molted... Im confused... Waiting for the test kit I just ordered so ill have to test when my lfs opens this morning

I do 20% water change once a week, what could I do? More changes? Maybe co2 or liquid ferts are affecting water quality?

I've dosed Flourish and Flourish Excel many times before in a RCS tank with no issues. RCS are from the genus Neocaridina and these shrimp do prefer a pH that is neutral to pretty alkaline. I have heard that an acidic pH over extended periods of time can hurt their shells, but I have never seen it or experienced it as my water for them has always been alkaline and hard. How low is the pH? I'm assuming that it's acidic since you are adding CO2 and with your KH at 180ppm, you might be in the neighborhood of 5.5 or so....just my guess.

Ph is 7.4. Not sure what else could be the problem. I use api leafzone, seachem nitrogen supplement as directed. All my other fish seem fine. I have micro crabs too that are just fine also. Not sure what else could be wrong. Oxygen level too low? Ive noticed not as many bubbles on my plants lately with a new, more powerful filter, but its not too much more flow, and the water seems cleaner, less film on top...

I did split up my daylight time however because of too much lighting, 10+ hrs a day to 9 now. Ihave timer set for 4.5 hrs in morning, 4 hrs off, and 4.5 in evening. I dose co2 in am and pm at beginning of lighting periods and it is mostly diffused from my reactor by lights out.

Back
Top Bottom