Cherry shrimp? Male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samispeed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi people I have planted aquarium and I have got 8 neon tetras and 8 RCS
I would like to know how can I tell the difference between male and female red cherry shrimps.
My LFS sold me three yesterday which were completely discoloured, almost a pinky, peach colour and said it was female?.. And makes are brighter. Please help thank you.

The females will be much redder than the males. It is hard to tell the difference in juveniles though. Just give them some time and then you will know for sure. Also the females will develop a yellow "saddle" right be hind their heads. Hope this helps.

jackwagon said:
The females will be much redder than the males. It is hard to tell the difference in juveniles though. Just give them some time and then you will know for sure. Also the females will develop a yellow "saddle" right be hind their heads. Hope this helps.

Thank you! I will look for it. Also looks like one of the discoloured ones has a green round thing under its belly. Are they eggs? Even though you just told me the females are actually the red ones

If you look closely then you should be able to tell. Eggs can be anywhere from green to yellow. The color doesn't matter at all. Just look closely and she will probably be fanning them (moving them). This prevents fungus from growing on them.

Back
Top Bottom