Cherry Shrimp questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SouthernSon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I have been thinking and I want to set up a small 10 gallon cherry shrimp tank. I was reading through some other postings on here about cherry shrimp and think that it sounds pretty fun to get a colony going. I do however have a few questions about them.

Am I going to have to cycle this tank if I am just keeping the shrimp in there? Is there even going to be a big enough bio-load to cause amonia spikes and such? Are they generally hard or easy to care for?

I read that you need live plants in there with them. Do I need a specific type of plant? Are they low maintenance?

One last question: I am really not very experienced with shrimp and have no idea what they cost, what should I expect to pay for them? I just ask this because I am trying to keep this tanks cost relatively low.

And if yall think there is anything else I should know beforehand let me know I would greatly appreciate it. Also any comments or suggestions are very welcome! Thanks!

IMO every tank needs to be cycled, but RCS do have a low bioload, so others may have a different point of view.

Yes live plants make a big difference for any shrimp. I have Java ferns on a DW, java moss on the same piece of wood and a pad of crafters mat with moss sewed to it.

Prices vary, someone was selling some for a good price (less than $1 per?), I pay 2.99 for them at my LFS.

What size is your tank and is it setup? Filtration, etc. is good to know too.

I would just add some biomedia from a cycled tank in there, a ton of plants, moss preferably, and add the shrimp.

Java moss is one of the best shrimp plants, and it doesn't really require anything special at all.

You can buy cherry shrimp online from people for usually around a dollar per shrimp. I was selling some in the classifieds last week @ 20 for $20 shipped. You should be able to get some moss or other low light plants from the shrimp person at a nominal fee as well.

Alright cool thanks for the quick responses. Java moss sounds like the way to go by the sound of it. Oh and about filtration what would you guys recommend? I was thinking of an internal filter? Would that effect the java moss at all? Oh and the tank size is 10 gallons. I have plenty of media I could add to speed the cycle up.

Check AquaBid.com - Sell or buy aquarium related equipment and fish in an auction format!. You can usually find em for $1 ea or less there.

It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to do a fishless cycle (that would also give the tank time to settle in, get the water parameters time to flatten out)... but I tend to agree with Jeta. RCS have such a small bioload, there won't be much of a need for established bacteria. I generally don't cycle a shrimp only tank prior to adding shrimp. I do silent cycle though--the tank is heavily planted from the beginning so any small potential for ammonia is sucked up right away by the plants.

Alright cool thanks for the quick responses. Java moss sounds like the way to go by the sound of it. Oh and about filtration what would you guys recommend? I was thinking of an internal filter? Would that effect the java moss at all? Oh and the tank size is 10 gallons. I have plenty of media I could add to speed the cycle up.

I have an in-tank filter with RCS and the like to stand over the intake slits and munch on pickings that collect there lol.

Haha thats pretty cool Mr.Limpet I will go with the internal filter as well. About the java moss is it true they don't require a lot of light to thrive?

ZestyMoFo said:
Haha thats pretty cool Mr.Limpet I will go with the internal filter as well. About the java moss is it true they don't require a lot of light to thrive?

Not much light to keep it from turning, to grow well a bit more light helps. What kind of lights do you have on it?

Okay first off I have no experience with aquarium plants beyond the one little thing of anacharis I have growing in my tank so bare with me lol that plant just lives off the sunlight it gets for about 2 hours in the afternoon from the window.

The 10g tank I want to use for the RCS does not currently have a hood or lights but I have a 65w growing lamp in my closet I could shine on the tank. Would that work?

I have java moss in ambient room light, so light intensity isn't too much of an issue, but more light will give more growth.

I suggest a sponge filter, shrimp love picking at them and it costs little to set up

ZestyMoFo said:
Okay first off I have no experience with aquarium plants beyond the one little thing of anacharis I have growing in my tank so bare with me lol that plant just lives off the sunlight it gets for about 2 hours in the afternoon from the window.

The 10g tank I want to use for the RCS does not currently have a hood or lights but I have a 65w growing lamp in my closet I could shine on the tank. Would that work?

Sure would if it's for plants, it should have a good spectrum. I'd suggest keeping it a couple feet up above/side of the tank so you reduce the total light going into the tank, other wise it'll be way too much IMO.

Go here and get an idea of plants for aquariums: www.plantgeek.net Look at low light plants to start and when the green bug bites you, you'll have plants in multiple tanks like many people here lol.

Ah awesome! Thank you so much mr.limpet and everyone else who has replied I really cannot wait to get this off the ground now!

Awesome! I just started my own 5 gallon RCS breeding tank this morning. I use an internal filter, rocks and java moss. They seem fine. I bought them for $3 + tax each at the fish store but ordering online definitely seems like a better deal. As long as there's tons of plants in there they'll suck up any ammonia that may build up. Don't feed them that much, they like to nibble at algae/micro organisms on plants...I hear they also like to eat dried leaf litter. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom