chiller advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atomicmole

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I Am new to the aquarium hobby. I have a 75 gallon tank that has been running with saltwater for two weeks. I cannot wait to add marine life to the tank but I currently have a temperature problem. The tank consistently maintains a temperature of 82F. (I live in Houston, so it is hot and it is not even summer, yet.) All of the equipment is operating, i.e., protien skimmer, sump, lighthing and another pump( I believe Magnum 350 filter). No one is home during the day and therefore the house is usually kept at 80F and cooled to 74-78 in the evening( did I say I was cheap). I have just recently lowered the house temp 5 degrees from 80F to 75F during the day but the tank has only lowered to 80F. With out lowering the house temperatures any lower with the rising cost of electricity, I was wondering about how to achieve the temperature drop I need to maintain an reef/fish tank.

I have been reading about the DIY ways on this forum and drop-in chillers. But someone on the forum keeps mentioning using fans for the evaporative cooling effect. My question is .... What kind of fan and can I place it inside the storage cabinet with the sump? Or any other advise is greatly appreciated. I will probably get a drop-in chiller, but will like to try a lost cost technique before making the large purchase.

Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom