Chitala ornata / Clown featherback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimitri320

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got myself for the second time a Chitala ornata / Clown featherback, and with 24 hours it died, both times! First time a got a smaller one, around 5", and 2nd time around 15". Both times died during the day, not the first night. No damage on their bodies was found, so I rule out that it was killed by any other fish. My water params are great, I regularly check them. All other fish looks great! Temp 26 degrees Celsius, 450litres tank. Can anyone please advice what's wrong? I'm so frustrated about this... thanks!!

What do you define as great parameters?
What's your filtration like?
How did you acclimate it?
You realize that fish is going to outgrow that tank pretty quick right?
They get pretty big.......
What other fish are in there?

4 external filters, 1 internal filter. Good nitrogen cycle, monitor it regularly. I have small oscars and medium pacus and a few plecos. Acclimatisation wasn't perfect, I added 50% of my water to the container, waited 15mins and then moved it. It was perfect over the night (12 hours). Plenty of oxygen, pH as suggested for them.

I know they get big, I'm getting 3000 l aquarium in a few months

Ok so this isn't as bad as I imagined it to be.
I don't know too much about these big fish, but maybe try getting another one from a different store?
Bad stock in the store you've been buying them from??

I got two fish from different hobbyist directly, not a store, with a gap of 3-4 months in between. I'm really stressed with this fish, this never happened before.

Back
Top Bottom