chocolate chip star fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bald57

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today I went to my lfs and bought a really cool chocolate chip star fish. The owner was very imformative when we were talking about it. He was very attament about what paramaters are needed for this little guy. As it happened, I had just did a water test before going and luck would have it, I happened to take along my journal of my tests. He was impressed on how stable the tank was and told me how interesting these little guys are. He told me how to acclame him, and what to expect when he was added to the tank. As it turned out he was right on the money. When I placed him into the tank after acclaming him for 6 hours, he went straight for a nice rock near the back of the tank and attached himself just where the owner of the store said he would. He also said to expect the star fish to stay in one place for awhile until he was comfortable, then to expect him to be all over the tank. He also explained how to feed him and what not to put in the tank with him.
I hope the new addition will have years of roaming and doing what they do best. I know the grande kids love him and as soon as they saw him, they both yelled at the same time, you have to call him Patrick cause thats what the star fish in sponge bob is called. So I guess Patrick it is.

Is your tank a fowler?

Chocolate chip star fish are known to eat anything "live" in the sand and to devoir algae on live rock, even beneficial, aka coralline.

I have a chocolate chip sea star in my fowler tank and agree, they are a great addition to a tank. Mine mostly stays on the glass of the tank and at times when he is near the water surface, I will feed him some food by hand and I can watch him expose his stomach.

When he comes to the water surface and I do feed him by hand, I use Rod's Food which is a brand of frozen food. The type I use has a mixture of stuff so whatever doesn't stay with the starfish the fish eat.

red horned starfish

my red horned starfish spends hours on the glass at the water surface with two arms upside down as if eeling the surface of the water . does anyone know why he may do this

Back
Top Bottom