Chocolate star fish ... Murdered?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babydelfinita

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a chocolate star fish in my established tank... he was doing good. Then i researched and bought a Brittle star, i was told that they were compatible. They took to each other and then this morning, ( after one night) my star fish was dead.
Did the brittle have anything to do with that? And now all of a sudden i have these really little worms swimming around my tank... are they tube worms? Where did they come from? How do i get rid of them?

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

babydelfinita said:
I had a chocolate star fish in my established tank... he was doing good. Then i researched and bought a Brittle star, i was told that they were compatible. They took to each other and then this morning, ( after one night) my star fish was dead.
Did the brittle have anything to do with that?
I doubt the brittle would be the culprit. Both of these stars can be quite aggressive hunters but I do not think it's the case. Can you describe the condition of the chocolate chip when you found it and how long have you had it?

And now all of a sudden i have these really little worms swimming around my tank... are they tube worms? Where did they come from? How do i get rid of them?
Sounds like epitokes. Bristleworm larvae. Nothing to be concerned about and no reason to remove them.

Cheers
Steve

Are choc chip stars more on the sensitive side as far as.... well not being very robust and resistant to changes and all that? i was just wondeirng if he just kicked the bucket for some other reason. :(

(Sorry not trying to threadjack I'm just curious too) :eek:

snapcrackler said:
Are choc chip stars more on the sensitive side as far as.... well not being very robust and resistant to changes and all that?
They are slightly more resiliant as far as sea stars go but they can be as easily affected by rapid changes.

Cheers
Steev

Sorry to hear about your chocolate chip star........I am not sure if it was just a coincidence that the chip died the same night as the first night you had the brittle star.

What size tank do you have and how much rock?

Both of those starfish are carnivores as compared to Linckia or Fromia stars which graze. Of course with sensitive corals you have to be careful.

I was concerned about my orange star I have, cause I just bought another seastar to go with my orange linckia today at petco, an awesome red star fromia sp for $9.99...they had an awesome silver dollar size chip star for $5.99 sorry I didn't get it for you. :wink:

OK i have a 55 gallon tank ... after i made this message... i caught the brittle star dragging my unsuspecting damsel into a cave and eating it!!!! Shame shame!! He killed all the fish in my tank, save the tang. The little fish eating freak!!!
The chocolate chip was good. He was eating and moving, but it could have been the change. I am kind of new at this so i thought maybe i could blame him...ha ha..

In my tank i have 40-50 pounds of Fiji. I will get me a new star fish ( i have taken the culprit back to the store...) ( and when i gave him back they were not at all surprised at his sleep over antics...) Thanks for the help!!!

Back
Top Bottom