Choices narowed down to Peacokc or Mbuna tank HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so I've finished cycling a 75gal and have put in a few Yellow Labs to start things off.

Now, I can't decide if I want to keep going the Mbuna route or house Peacocks. From all the research, it just seems to me that
1) Peacocks are much more colorful, but larger fish than Mbuna, so more individual color, but fewer fish overall.
2) Mbuna are not as colorful, but smaller fish, so more fish, but less individual color, but maybe more color variety among the fish.

Anyone have any ideas to help end the wishy washy feeling I have?

Peacocks are more colorful but the females are drab and uncolored. Mbuna have both males and females with color. With careful planning you could have both in your tank. My 125 gal has a mix of peacocks, mbuna and haps. All have been co-exsisting for over 1 1/2 years now. All adults now.

How I went about it...I first decided on the colors I wanted to go with, selected a range of fish that were in the color scheme. Then I researched each fish to make sure it would go with the others. Needless to say, stocking plans were re-arranged more than once.
With proper research you can have the tank with the color and the quantity you are looking for.

Since you have already started with labs, i'd go with other mbuna. The labs are mbuna cichlids.

Wow quick responses thanks so far.

MyCatsDrool said:
Since you have already started with labs, i'd go with other mbuna. The labs are mbuna cichlids.

I had thought about that, but at the same time, I have read that Yellow labs and peacocks can live quite happily together b/c the Labs are not your typical aggressive Mbuna. At worst, I would trade in the Labs, which my LFS is quite happy to do.

Thought I would rethink this before I got to far along.

labs can and will coexist with almost any mbuna, peacock or hap (barring the huge piscivores though). there are some labs that turn out to be uber-aggressive, but thats probably due to cross-breeding, and is a rarity.

I have Labs, Peacocks (A. jacobfriebergi), and 2 types of Mbuna in my 55g (Afra Cobue and Albino Socolofi). They are getting along pretty well right now and are still young. I've had a couple incidents of the smallest peacocks getting bullied. One pulled through, one didn't. In a 75g with enough rock and hiding spots, you should be fine to house Mbuna and Peacocks. I'd have bigger groups of Labs and Peacocks than Mbuna.

Back
Top Bottom