Choking female guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
My female guppy can't close her mouth and I can't tell if something is stuck. Sorry for the bad pic

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

chest thrusts?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't want to hurt her especially as she is pregnant.

You know if you stress her a little bit her reaction may be to puke...

Hmm like put her in a breeder trap?

That may work... but I'm really not sure what to do... but most animal's reaction to physical stress is to poop and puke.

How long has she been like this? i find it hard to believe a fish is "choking" considering they don't breathe into a windpipe but straight out their gills, maybe a salt bath with an airstone the likes of a whirlpool? lol
Could it be a gill fluke or worm in her gills/mouth?

Any chance you've recently fed her peas? My baby platys have "choked" on them when I haven't smashed them small enough. My other fish have done it when they stuff their mouths with algae wafers that have also not been broken up enough.

If you are going to do a salt bath, make sure it is the right kind. Unfortunately, I don't know off hand if it is aquarium or epsom salt, but they have opposite results.

She is fine now, it was definitely a bit of pumpkin that was too big.

Epsom salt is a laxative,sodium magnesium. Sodium cloride is rock salt or sea salt, adds minerals and electrolytes and keeps bacteria in check.

Back
Top Bottom