Choosing a fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikachu0315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im an intermediate fish keeper and I'm wondering if Anyone has suggestions on what to put in my 12-13 gallon tank so far 2 platys I planning on pgymy corys (5)And a dwarf gourami. The substrate is sand and its not dirty I tested the water average tempature is 77-80 any suggestions on fish. The tanks cycled.

What kind of filter and size do you have and do you have any plants, and what kinds?

The Pygmy Cories are good and 5 is a great number. For the past year, I have been doing my researching and waiting for the new tank which I recently put up so I would have the room needed for a nice group of dwarf Cories! Very excited for this, too!

Two platties can produce a lot of waste, did you say if you know if they are male or female? What color are they? This info is just to get an idea of what colors you have in case ther are other fish which would complement them visually as well as companions. Your tank size limits you in some ways, but makes you be more creative if you are interested.

I always like inverts! You can probably do 3 Japonica Amano Shrimp and a couple of snails if you are so inclined, helps keep things cleaned up.

Red Ramshorns (there many colors) are nice and also Nerites. You can start doing some reading on them if you like any of them. Apple snails no, get too big and Mystery snail maybe one for instance if you really liked the blue or a certain one.

The only drawback on the snails is if you over feed, you'll likely have an over population. Nerites, if you have a female they will lay individual white eggs around the tank, but they need brackish water to actually reproduce. I have a female and it does lay eggs around. For me not a big enough reason to get rid of her! She eats lots of algae and keeps the tank clean.

My Amano Shrimp are hilarious and I think totally worth having as much as fish or more so!!! Although people call them Algae eating shrimp, they are scavengers and love meaty foods too!

What kind of filter and size do you have and do you have any plants, and what kinds?

The Pygmy Cories are good and 5 is a great number. For the past year, I have been doing my researching and waiting for the new tank which I recently put up so I would have the room needed for a nice group of dwarf Cories! Very excited for this, too!

Two platties can produce a lot of waste, did you say if you know if they are male or female? What color are they? This info is just to get an idea of what colors you have in case ther are other fish which would complement them visually as well as companions. Your tank size limits you in some ways, but makes you be more creative if you are interested.

I always like inverts! You can probably do 3 Japonica Amano Shrimp and a couple of snails if you are so inclined, helps keep things cleaned up.

Red Ramshorns (there many colors) are nice and also Nerites. You can start doing some reading on them if you like any of them. Apple snails no, get too big and Mystery snail maybe one for instance if you really liked the blue or a certain one.

The only drawback on the snails is if you over feed, you'll likely have an over population. Nerites, if you have a female they will lay individual white eggs around the tank, but they need brackish water to actually reproduce. I have a female and it does lay eggs around. For me not a big enough reason to get rid of her! She eats lots of algae and keeps the tank clean.

My Amano Shrimp are hilarious and I think totally worth having as much as fish or more so!!! Although people call them Algae eating shrimp, they are scavengers and love meaty foods too!
Thanks for helping i like your way of setup! Can i be your friend:lol:!
Thank You for helping!

Mystery snail would be good to help clean up and are fun to watch when hey are on the move. Maybe a few small fun fish such as guppies, although i prefer endlers personally. Good luck deciding!

You are pretty restricted with your tank size. Are you 100% sure on the size of the tank? You seem a bit unsure about that. Depending on what filter you have, which we need know, you could add 2-3 more platties to make a real school.

How do you tell if there boy or girl? I have a I have a sunset and a red wag
:fish1::fish1::fish1:

The three fins on the belly on the female and male, the two at the most front are pretty much the same but on the male there is one which is thin and pointy and the female one was more oval shaped, you can google how to tell male and female live bearers apart.

Point of the question if you need to add any more females or how the m/f ratio might affect your tank and stocking needs.

You are pretty restricted with your tank size. Are you 100% sure on the size of the tank? You seem a bit unsure about that. Depending on what filter you have, which we need know, you could add 2-3 more platties to make a real school.

Platies don't school that much hardly.

Back
Top Bottom