Choosing the right fish for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I have a 72G bow FOLR with a 30G sump and am looking for the right fish to stock it with. The tank has been running for a couple of years, just have not really added to much livestock yet!

I would like to plan so that all fish are reef safe invade I decide to go there in the future.

Currently I have a pair of small percula clowns, a firefish, couple of turbo snails, cerith snails, nassarius snails, Asterina stars, baby brittle stars, Blue legged hermits.

I also have (and am looking to get rid of) a black damselfish and a green brittle star.

Here is what was thinking of getting in the future...

- flame angelfish
- kole tang
- 2 cleaner shrimp
- fire shrimp
- some small reef safe stars (not sure what kind would be best, I have enough brittles growing)
- a colorful blenny (not sure which one yet)
- what would you get if this was your setup?

I would really appreciate your knowledge of these fish plus any opinions, ideas, and suggestions!

Thanks

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Not doing reef? Angels can be dicey in a reef.

Do a midas blenny for great golden/yellow color. Look at some of the other forktail, fang blennies to. Great blu/yellow colors and VERY cute fish i their habits. I'd do 3 cleeaner shrimp or a mated pair of coral banded. Good move on the green brittle. Look for a grey one. Very mild and would eat of of my hands. Either the kole or tomini tang Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Bristletooth Tomini Tang.

Add 3 schooling cardinals. Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Kaudern's Cardinal - Tank-Bred

And a goby (shrimp or regular) Gobies for Sale: Goby Fish Species Including Shrimp Gobies

Hi, thanks for the great reply!

The green brittle star will likely go, he has grown huge and although he is yet to attack anything, it's an risk I don't want. Currently I'm keeping him full with raw shrimp! I have literally hundreds of baby brittles in the tank that hitchhiked some live rock, I think they are too small to identify but they appear white and black striped. I saw some small red stars at the lfs that looked awesome and are reef safe, not sure what kind but they only grow about 1 inch and have the traditional star shape.

I have no corals yet (except for a couple of small polyps and some anemones that occasionally sprout up) but would like to in a year or so.

I have always wanted a flame angel and have heard that some do fine with corals, I wouldn't mind if it nipped at the odd one but would it be incompatible?

That tang looks nice, I think I may prefer it to the kole tang, thanks!

Would a mated pair of coral banded shrimp be okay housed with a regular cleaner shrimp?

I like the goby!

I have heard cardinals can be a bit aggressive once they get big?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but I recently saw a dwarf purple lobster, how would that do in a tank with the above livestock? Just curious on this one because they look really cool!

Thanks!

Tom

Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Debelius' Reef Lobster Consider a pistol shrimp and goby combo instead. I've hear directly from folks who've had angels do fin in their reef for years, so they add more coral. Then, one day..... OMG!!!

I forgot about the cleaner you had already. I had one before and my cleaners weren't harmed in the 155g. Actually, I had 1 CB, 3 skunks cleaner and 3 fire cleaners. After a while the skunks disappeared. Not sure why, but my fire cleaners always did well.

Back
Top Bottom