chromis compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbeatts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm planning a 70 gallon reef tank and I am trying to figure out what livestock I want. Is it safe to put two different types of chromis together? I was thinking of putting 5 blue/green chromis and 5 Vanderbuilt chromis.

Both of those are rather mild in temperment so should be okay but be advised, even peaceful fish can have squabbles within a school.

As stated already is all true. Chromis almost always start in a school but end up as a single fish. I recall reading somewhere that the larger schools might do better, but don't recall where. I think a school of 5 is recommended best.

As stated already is all true. Chromis almost always start in a school but end up as a single fish. I recall reading somewhere that the larger schools might do better, but don't recall where. I think a school of 5 is recommended best.

There ends up being a single fish because they pick each other off one by one? I know that they establish a hierarchy, but the top of the chain always end up killing off the rest?

I thought about adding chromis because I want a fish that is reef safe, colorful, schools, and are relatively inexpensive. However, I don't want to just bide my time until they kill each other off. How can I prevent this or is it unpreventable?

Also... any suggestions of other fish that meet my requirements (school, colorful, reef safe, price I can adjust)? I thought about pajama cardinals. Could they be mixed with Banggai cardinals?

There ends up being a single fish because they pick each other off one by one? I know that they establish a hierarchy, but the top of the chain always end up killing off the rest?

I thought about adding chromis because I want a fish that is reef safe, colorful, schools, and are relatively inexpensive. However, I don't want to just bide my time until they kill each other off. How can I prevent this or is it unpreventable?

Also... any suggestions of other fish that meet my requirements (school, colorful, reef safe, price I can adjust)? I thought about pajama cardinals. Could they be mixed with Banggai cardinals?

Yes to the Cardinals being mixed however, they too should have separate schools that mix versus individuals. Some other fish that come to mind are Firefish, Engineer gobies, Clown Gobies and if you have a deep area of sand ( or can make a section a deep bed of sand) Jawfish types ( pearly, yellowhead, dusky, etc) are other reef safe choices.

Regarding the Chromis ending up as individuals: Almost all schooling fish create a hierarchy within the school but when/if the weakest ones die off, unless you add more to enlarge the school, the top banana will be more aggressive to the remaining fish. So you don't have to wind up with a single fish but there will be die offs within the school. In the wild, you often see schools of fish ( Chromis species quite often) that are all of similar size so the "attrition" factor is a tank created trait not a natural one. (y)

Back
Top Bottom