Cichlid Fry began free swimming today. Should I move them to grow out tank now or?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlwn88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone,

First time I've ever experienced this situation. I have a grow out tank that i plan on using for the Blue Acara fry that just became free swimming today. I have a sponge filter currently running in my 75g that's been there for a day and a half now.

How long should I leave the sponge filter in there so it will contain a good amount of beneficial bacteria when I move it to the other tank. I also plan on using the same water from the tank, right now it's empty. I'd imagine I'd be good to move gravel from the existing tank as well.

And should I wait a few days or is now a good time to start moving them over? I've read it's best to move over half or so.

Here are some photos for enjoyment!

img_1268271_0_5425664d3645858ba5fd6d8bf13e44ca.jpg

img_1268271_1_1fb01cc717359fbcb31572eed3515556.jpg

Thanks,
Dave

Not trying to bump but I really don't want to screw this up. The free have been free swimming for a day now, is it okay to move them to a small tank, will they do okay if I bring over the same water and feed them baby brine shrimp?

A divider would be better, at least until they grow a bit larger. Moving fry that small requires a siphon. A 29 would be good for spawning/growout until the fry reach 1".

Back
Top Bottom