cichlid help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidfreak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started a 200gal tank and would really like to start a community cichlid tank. I know there are many different options but looking for a fairly cheap route. What cichlids work well together and won't cost an arm and a leg to purchase them?

Cichlids are the cheapest when they are young, in my area anyway. It really depends on what your looking for. Would you like african cichlids, American cichlids, new world cichlids? Since you have such a large tank you can get the bigger fish or a bunch of the "smaller" fish. African cichlids come in a large array of colors. And are very fun to watch. I also have some American cichlids in a different tank (Africans and Americans don't mix we'll). I have a jack dempsey and a gold saum. You can look up different care needs for different cichlids and see what kind you want to end up with. I'm sure any way you go you'll love it!

I think I'm going to go with Africans for the colors but pet store prices are ridiculous!!! Only other options is craigslist and if nothing there is online. Shipping fish isn't all that cheap either. Know of any online sites that u can order fish for a flat rate shipping price under 20$ I live in Wisconsin.

Don't waste a nice 200 gallon on African cichlids go Central or South American. Nice big groups of Thorichtys or Cryptoheros with "schools" of a wild type livebearers would be epic! With a tank that size you can also do a pair of some of the big boys.

Look up gold saum or green terror cichlids. If you want to do an african cichlid tank it's up to you, but i would research other options too....

I got african cichlids first and then I found out about Americans and now I have both lol.

Totally up to you :)

Ok thanks for the help! I looked up the thorichtys and cryptoheros and really like them! Now I have to find out how to get my hands on some!

Back
Top Bottom