Cichlid holding. No sure what to do.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sophiamarvv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had guppy and platy babies, but I haven't quite dealt with cichlid babies yet. I hear about stripping but I don't know exactly what that entails and I'm not entirely sure what to do? If anyone has any advice, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400642226.339508.jpg

So I googled stripping as decided I did not want to do that at all. She's too small and I would be too scared I would hurt her. So other than stripping what other ways to go about saving these babies does anyone have?

If you don't want to strip, alt is to divide tank with screen or tumbler incubator. Unless you have an extra tank handy.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay and what happens if I separate her and she spits them out?

Nm incubator thata if you strip and have one. Shouldnt hurt her just have hands wet before holding her she'll be calm. Mine is....couple videos on you tube

That's ok if you have a screen they shouldnt swim thru. She'll suck them back in if she feels threaten in anyway. I've been told cichlids take good care of young.

Mine she carried twice now but hasnt completed full cycle --- might have ate them or other fish might have.
Hope this helps

Oh okay. I read somewhere else that she's just leave them if they got out somehow. And I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. We are probably going to just buy a divider and put her on one side of the tank with the lava rock cause that's seems to be her home right now. Thank you everyone :)

That would be the way i go next time also.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401919754.175558.jpg
Hey everyone I just wanted to give an update an ask a question as I'm concerned. She's been holding now for about 15 days that we know of, and all of a sudden today she came out of hiding and put her stomach in the air bubbles. I'm worried because she looks like she has lost a lot of color, and now she's coming up to the stop and like turning herself sideways. I don't know what do with her as I don't want her to die because she's holding. She only started this as we started to do a water change. Can anyone give me any advice as to what I can do?

Is her belly sunken in? You may need to strip her. The babies will be free swimming by now.

I don't think so, it didn't look like it and I feel like I would notice. She looks normal.

think about it, there are 2 options;
A. leave her be-she hasnt eaten in over 2 weeks so shes gonna be stressed but she should be fine.
B. Strip her-if your worried and shes behaving odd why not just strip her the fry are free swimming at this point, you lose nothing by doing this

I did strip her, which is why I just started a different thread to get answers on why she's freaking out.

Is it normal for her to be breathing heavy and like just generally freaking out after she is stripped? This is the first time I have done this so I'm just making sure now she's gonna be okay.

Back
Top Bottom