Cichlid Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJG187

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if you fellow AA members could help me out. I was wondering if you were able to mix african cichlids with anything else, such as semi-aggressive tropicals (rainbow sharks, bala sharks, etc.). I do know their parameters are slightly different but was unsure if your able to make it work.

I've kept cichlids in the past with large Silver Dollars, Irodescent Sharks, and Pacu. The ones you've named do not get big enough in the long run to continue to stand up to the African's. They may start out ok, but in the long run they aren't going to last. Even the ones I mentioned will eventually start getting picked on. Personally, I don't mix any more.

I currently have African mbuna cichlids with a red tailed shark. They have been together for about 6 months with no problems. They pretty much stay out of each other's way.

I've heard that red tail sharks do well. Synodontis catfish come from the African rift lakes and do well with mbunas.

It depends a lot on the African cichlids you are talking about. 'African cichlids' includes over 10% of all the freshwater species of fish on the planet.

In general I have found the following to live well with different types of African cichlids: Synodontis spp. catfish, Polypterus spp. bichirs, bristlenose plecos, rainbowfish, many Central and South American cichlids, and many other large fish.

PM me for an article on stocking and compatibility.

Specifically red fin zebras, yellow labs, and albino zebras. I also have a spotted pleco and a bushy nose pleco in there.

JLcichlidlover said:
I currently have African mbuna cichlids with a red tailed shark. They have been together for about 6 months with no problems. They pretty much stay out of each other's way.

Okay thats actually the fish I wanted. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom