Cichlid setup needing advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dobbin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I currently have set up a 56 gallon cichlid tank and need advice as had a little driftwood in there with coral sand and slate. I checked my ph and it was 7.2 so I took it out and left for one day then checked water again with out it and it is still the same so need advice why my ph is low?

What sort of water chemistry do you want? African cichlids from Malawi? To raise the pH to around 8.2-8.4 use baking soda (doesn't matter how much, it won't raise the pH any higher) and epsom salt for general hardness.

I want it up to like 8.2 . I've got this aquadur stuff but it makes water dusty.. Also coral sand is meant to make ph higher? Maybe try some ocean rock,?

Coral in any form (chunks, crushed, etc.) will only raise/buffer the pH to 7.6 max. Aragonite will raise it higher, but baking soda is cheaper and easy.

I have coral sand and ocean rock so that will only go ip to 7,6?g

I'm from England and can't find holy rock just alot of ocean rock hmm I'll see what happens in few days

I live in Florida and we have NO rock. I had to order the texas holey rock from ebay. The lfs dont ever have a nice selection.

Back
Top Bottom