Cichlid Substrate questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am working towards putting together a 20 gallon tank. I bought some cichlid substrate (see picture). I plan on keeping a breeding pair of Kribensis in this tank. I also hope to have this be a planted tank.

If the time ever comes that i decide I want different fish (say tetras) will this substrates Ph altering ability be a negative thing for the fish?

Will this substrate cause Ph swings, during pwc?

Thank you for your time and effort!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120501_223852.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120501_223852.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 55
That substrate is for African rift lake (Malawi and Tanganykian) cichlids, Krib's are river fish. They can probably adapt to the water conditions, but it wouldn't be an ideal setup for them.

Thank you very much! I will try to return the substrate and get some good ol sand :) thanks again! (My future kribensis also thank you)

ph isnt a huge issue unless its way to one end of the spectrum,or there are rapid changes. but i do agree that sand would be better(and cheaper:))

No reason to have fluctuations in water levels when it isn't necessary. I am going to get some black PETCO sand. I think it will a) look better b) keep things more stable.

You shouldn't need to do anything to get your kribs to thrive/breed. Simply add water. LOL :) They are almost as bad as guppies.

How many pounds of sand will be required for a 20 gallon long tank? 30 inches by 13 inches? I want the sand about 1.5-2 inches thick

How many pounds of sand will be required for a 20 gallon long tank? 30 inches by 13 inches? I want the sand about 1.5-2 inches thick

I believe I used 40lbs in my 30g long (36x12") and I got about 3" in the back with 1"-1.5" up front.

Get yourself a 50 lb bag of black diamond blasting grit for $8 and you'll have enough left over for a 10 gallon shrimp tank. The black substrate really show off the color/s of the fish, and it's completely inert. Won't affect water chemistry or support a diatom bloom for a month or so.

Back
Top Bottom