Cichlids and a 20 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandi1982

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought myself the Marineland 20 Gallon Bio Wheel Deluxe kit, added about 5 live plants. I added a water treatment that came with it. I built two rock shelters and it has been cycling for 3 days. I rinsed everything off including the plants but noticed that the water is clowdy. How long do you think this should last? I currently have no fish in the tank and dont plan to add anything until the water clears.
Also after doing some research on the cichlids I see that they dont like live plants. should I be concerned that they will pull them out?
Also having only a 20 gallon how many do you think I could have?
This is a first tank for me and so far I am enjoying it.
If cichlids are a bad choice what and how many fish do you recommend?
;)
Thanks!!!

Brandi

Read Fishless cycling for dummies It will bum you a little about how long it may take before you can add fish but if you want to do it right thats the way. As for the rest just keep asking questions here there are alot of fish smart folks here. Good luck

Brandi,

Ya and depending on what type of Cichlid you want depends on what type of gravel or sand to place in it and what type of rock or decoration. I still dont know anything compared but have learned alot reading here. Its a science :)

I like the Mbamba, the Yellow Lab or the convicts.
I have gravel put down about 2 1/2" of it and a couple rock houses built up.
I purchased the rock from the store as well.
Yeah I am slowly seeing there is alot to it but I think over time this will be something I will enjoy. :)

None of those fish would work with a 20g i would suggest a 55 or bigger for any of them, really the only cichlids in IMO that would work in a 20g would the the shell dwelling like Brevis or Multis cichlids. Or maybe Rams but i dont know much about them maybe someone else can chime in that knows more about them.

Back
Top Bottom