Cichlids and gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, try to stick with one of any particular specie. Having multiple of the same, they will see each other as competition especially in a small tank. They would most likely target eachother until one is dead.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Severums are actually a semi-aggressive cichlid and would be able to hold their own if not actually bully mbuna due to their size. However, their fins would be nipped uncontrollably. I also do not condone nor advise the mixing of continents, as issues almost always arise.

The biggest problem with mixing fish from different continents is they have different care needs. Africans like rocks, and hard acidic water, SA's usually like planted tanks with softer more acidic and nutrient rich water (black water)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, try to stick with one of any particular specie. Having multiple of the same, they will see each other as competition especially in a small tank. They would most likely target eachother until one is dead.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Either that or do a species tank with a good male to female ratio. Species tank meaning all the same species, just to be clear.

OMG! You should do a Lethrinops Itungi TANK! (Red Cap Lethrinops) do like 3 makes and 7-10 females. That would be sweet!

The biggest problem with mixing fish from different continents is they have different care needs. Africans like rocks, and hard acidic water, SA's usually like planted tanks with softer more acidic and nutrient rich water (black water)

I was saying it more to show that I wasn't supporting the mix, just saying that a sev would probably hold its own. And sevs can't go in planted tanks ;) They will mow plants down like crazy

OK maybe in the future I will do a red cap tank because I don't want to redo my whole tank setup with rocks also where do I get the fish you guys where talking about?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Or a auratus rank would be cool

Lol, I actually meant this in a different thread. Oops.

Oh but where can I get the fish you where talking about

Livefishdirect.com had em last time I checked. I seen them at my LFS from time to time. I have one already.

OK thanks but that's a little pricey for me I will look around my lfs's for some good fish and I will tell you what kind they are

I should probably get some peacocks or zebras right? No mbuna

Pet solutions is another really good website for ordering fish on

If I were you id add a Otopharanx Lithobates, a Red Top Lwanda, a Masinji, or Sulpher head, some type of red, and an OB.

Most haps are too large for your tank, I'd avoid any fish over 5"

What species do you current have?

With the limited space you have, I think these recommendations a have you earlier will give you the most bang for your buck. Depending on what you already have.

I have a eurika red, ob peacock, orange zebra, red top albino zebra , a little black peacock with red on the tips of its back fin, and an electric blue johanni

I was thinking of a molimo hap or an ob zebra or just the regular colored zebra
I am definitely getting a green serverum,and another peacock of some sort from my LFS
Are white socolofis good or not

Thanks a lot

An albino socolofi is a lot if fun, and can definitely hang with a Johanni, they dig ALOT, so be ready for that. My Snow White is the most aggressive in my tank.

Oh cool i should get one of those and is the molimo hap good or should I not bother and like I said I am definitely getting the green serverum no matter what

Up to you, I think a molimo could get too big. Their maximum is like 7-8" and I think most stay smaller, you could try it.

With a mix like that you could have some problems, but there's ways to make it work. If you have an extra tank available id have it ready to remove any fish that are too aggressive, or if someone needs a place to heal. I kinda worry a socolofi and johanni would tear up the molimo, but I've never had one. I know they are a solitary fish, that is really only aggressive towards other molimo males.

Back
Top Bottom