Cichlids good fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar4life

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have been thinking about getting cichlids for my 55 gallon tank would that be a good tank for them? How many can I put in there I don't know about cichlids and I would like to so can you tell me something about them and what one can be together and what one can't be together

The first step is choosing which side of the pond, whether it's africans or south/central american but the different continents should not be mixed due to different aggression and some dietary needs. I personally lean towards the CA/SA guys but I keep and sell African peacocks. So with that in mind i would stock a pair Salvini's, Rainbow's or Honduran Red Points. These would still allow some dithers and bottoms feeders to boot. So research some key words like mbuna, Malawi peacocks, south and central cichlids for some idea's to what you may be looking for. But the last thing some of those southern boys and girls will grow far to large for a 55g. Any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Have been thinking about getting cichlids for my 55 gallon tank would that be a good tank for them? How many can I put in there I don't know about cichlids and I would like to so can you tell me something about them and what one can be together and what one can't be together

I have a 55g tank with African Cichlids. I have some labs and a couple Acei and Cobalt Zebras, and a few others 14 in all. The 55g is a good size but I wish I had gone with a 75g. Either way African cichlids have great personalities.
It's a personal choice whether you like the African or the Central/South American Cichlids. I absolutely love my Mbunas and would recommend them to first timers because they are beautiful and very hardy. But if you ask someone who has Central/South American Cichlids they will tell you the same thing.
If you go to my profile page you can see what the Mbunas look like in a 55g tank. Just to give you an idea and I'm sure that other people have pictures of there cichlids too.
No matter which ones you choose they are all beautiful and a complete joy to watch.

I have a 72 gallon tank to will that be better to put them in there I have four oscar in there but am going to sell two of them I can but two in a 55 right and put my cichlids in the 72 can you put live plants with them

African Cichlids will sometimes eat plants.

55 is too small in my opinion for two Oscars. Probably too small for one really. They'll 'survive' but as I always say there's a big difference between surviving and living. :)

I have a 72 gallon tank to will that be better to put them in there I have four oscar in there but am going to sell two of them I can but two in a 55 right and put my cichlids in the 72 can you put live plants with them

Each one of those tanks will only house one oscar, and my choice would be the 72 bowfront. With oscars growing around a inch per month depending on size the time is approaching quickly I'm sure. So that leaves the 55g if your going to keep one oscar, so do research on some of the names above and let us know what tickles your fancy.

Back
Top Bottom