Cichlids in community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are there any cichlids that would be able to put in a community aquarium?

Yes. It all depends on tank size, tankmates, and tank decor of course, but there are a qute a few dwarf cichlids that do great in communities. Some larger cichlids can be ok to under certain circumstances.
Do you have something in mind?

Not reAlly I have community tank and I really like cichlids. I just don't want to get any that are going to harass my other fish

Any suggestions? I like the lake Malawi cichlids. I have naturally hard water with high ph in a 46gal. Bow front tank.

There aren't any Malawi cichlids that I personally know of that would be ok in a community. The vast majority of African cichlids are not suited for peaceful communities.
If you like the colorful cichlids, I suggest looking into apistogramma or laetecara species. German or Bolivians get colorful too.
But like I said, it depends on what else is int your tank.

I just got a blood parrot and even if they tried to bite another fish i dont think they would do any harm

I wouldnt recommend a blood parrot for a community tank. Dwarf cichlids like Rams, Apisto, Kribs and angels are cichlids that do well in a community environment

absolutangel04 said:
There aren't any Malawi cichlids that I personally know of that would be ok in a community. The vast majority of African cichlids are not suited for peaceful communities.
If you like the colorful cichlids, I suggest looking into apistogramma or laetecara species. German or Bolivians get colorful too.
But like I said, it depends on what else is int your tank.

I agree. No Africans in community tank. Rams, apistos, cribs. maybe Honduran red points depending on tank mates.

Kribs are an excellent fish, peaceful and beautiful. I succesfully bred them and they do become quite aggressive when breeding so maybe 1 male in the tank is perfect. Also welcome to AA

Kribs can be hit-or-miss in communities. They often work but sometimes can be too aggressive during spawning. It depends on tankmates.

Thanks guys! I'm new to the site and to the hobby. I have had tons of advise on the few questions I've had. And learned a ton from reading through the forums.

If you REALLY want Africans, try African Butterfly cichlids. I know one person who used to (possibly still is) keeping hers in a 20G with neon tetras.

I have a pair of rams with some tetras in my 20g and they do fine.

I ended up getting 2 kribs. So far so good. Thanks for all the advice everybody !

Back
Top Bottom