Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diesel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking of getting a 75 gallon tank and wondering if it will be overstocked if I put in:

1 Convict Cichlid
1 Salvini Cichlid
1 Blue Acara Cichlid
1 Blood Parrot Cichlid

If not overstocked, can I still add one more Cichlid to it?

I would say you can however I'm not so sure about your mix. Salvinis are quite nasty and Blue Acaras relatively calm.

I would caution against that mix too. Convicts, once they are older and established in a tank can get nasty also.

Not a problem as far as stocking levels go, but I wouldn't but the acara into that mix. They just aren't scrappy enough to handle the aggression of the other three fish.

Could I put a school of Tetras or tiger barbs to spread out the aggression? or they will just get eaten?

i wouldnt put the salvini into that mix. the rest r a bit calmer. convicts r pretty laid back too when not breeding ime. they dont take bullying but dont relentlessly harrass and maul a fish like i would predict the salvini doing to the acara and parrot in a 75 gallon. New world like their space. 2 or maybe all of the fish except the salvini would be a good mix imo. ive seen salvinis rip the eyes out of every fish in a tank full of central american cichlids. when they fight they play for keeps. very nasty and aggressive. they got real nice colors for that reason they r one of the few aggressive central americans i like. if u like them a pair of them would likely get along fine in a 75 gal.

A school of large tiger barbs would be fine as dither/target fish for your 75 but won't do a thing to make life easier for an acara in the same tank.

Back
Top Bottom